To wing clip or not to wing clip

Jinx317

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
Southern Indiana
So my brother recently got 4 mallards that have been given to me to care for. They’ve been doing quite a lot of “flying” around and he’s worried that they’ll fly away in a few weeks if we don’t clip their wings. So I just have a couple of questions about clipping.

1. Is it ethical?
I feel bad taking away their ability to fly, but will it actually cause any issues with their health, whether that be physically or mentally? Will it increase their chances of getting killed by a predator?

2. Is it necessary?
Is there even a chance that they’ll fly away if I don’t? They’ve lived here since they were a week old (hatched in late May, so they’re about 3 months old now). They’re free-ranged—loose everyday and go in their kennel on their own when it gets dark. They’re also very tame. They follow me around and will happily lay down beside me when I’m relaxing in the yard. They nibble at my clothes and feet, too, lol

3. How long should I wait before clipping?
I’ve heard that it in some part has to do with if they have blood in their feather shafts and if they do then they’re too young—but maybe that isn’t the case for mallards or I just have my information wrong.

I just want what’s best for the little guys but also don’t want my brother to worry about losing his precious ducks. I wouldn’t want to lose them either but I don’t want to damage their quality of life if it’s unnecessary/possible to avoid.

1. Is it ethical?
I feel bad taking away their ability to fly, but will it actually cause any issues with their health, whether that be physically or mentally? Will it increase their chances of getting killed by a predator?
In my opinion, flying is not as important for ducks as it is for parrots and many other birds. Ducks spend most of their time on land or water. Not being able to fly doesn't change their life much, compared to most other birds. I have left some of my Muscovies unclipped at times and they may only fly once or twice a day. I wouldn't clip a parrot, but I think it's all right to clip ducks. It shouldn't cause any health issues. Domestic ducks can't fly at all and they seem all right.

I don't know how big of a difference it makes as far as predators.
2. Is it necessary?
Is there even a chance that they’ll fly away if I don’t?
They almost certainly will. Yes, it's necessary, particularly with migrating ducks like Mallards.
3. How long should I wait before clipping?
If they're flying, it should be safe to clip their wings.

Clip one wing. I clip the right wing of all of my baby heritage turkeys that are not in a covered enclosure during the day, as well as all of my light bodied ducks when they are young.
I continue to clip one wing after the first molt- esp if I am still seeing them try to fly. I don’t usually need to continue clipping after that- but I don’t have mallards.

If you clip both wings, they can learn to flap more vigorously and still fly off.
Clipping one wing allows them the opportunity to get away from predators, but they fly in a bit of an arc and don’t tend to take off / fly “away” from “home”.

It has kept my heritage turkeys off my roof, and my Khaki Campbells in their run lol

Watch some tutorials.
YouTube has many that are helpful.

Make sure you have :
- Good, sharp scissors, with light serration if possible (serration not required- I just like my kitchen shears from CutCo)
Sharp is the most important part.
- a pair of small vice grips/ small pliers.
- - - If you do cut a feather too short and it bleeds, you have to pull the feather and shaft out of the wing. There is no way to stop the bleeding from a bleeding feather other than pulling the shaft.
.......don’t be afraid of that. I’ve never needed to pull a feather while clipping wings ....I only have had to do that to a Tom turkey after after a fight 🤦‍♀️
It takes a firm grip on the wing and a firm pull w the pliers but isn’t scary once you’ve done it once. Hardly worse than pulling a nose hair 😂 except that you have to hold the wing so you don’t hurt their “arm” when you pull the feather shaft.
....But I always have the tools right next to me just in case!
- wear pants and a long sleeve shirt.
- I’ve never had help- but I’m sure that would be an easier way to go! Lol

I would not hesitate at all to clip (only one) wing. Otherwise, put a top on their run and don’t let them range....
but. You would probably still end up clipping a wing to not have to watch them try to fly out :/

Just my 0.02$

In my opinion, flying is not as important for ducks as it is for parrots and many other birds. Ducks spend most of their time on land or water. Not being able to fly doesn't change their life much, compared to most other birds. I have left some of my Muscovies unclipped at times and they may only fly once or twice a day. I wouldn't clip a parrot, but I think it's all right to clip ducks. It shouldn't cause any health issues. Domestic ducks can't fly at all and they seem all right.

I don't know how big of a difference it makes as far as predators.

They almost certainly will. Yes, it's necessary, particularly with migrating ducks like Mallards.

If they're flying, it should be safe to clip their wings.
Thank you! I appreciate the info and I’ll be sure to clip their wings tomorrow before I let them out (after researching how to do it properly, of course).

I was mostly worried about how ethical it was due to how much I hear about how cruel it is to clip the wings of parrots and such. I wouldn’t want to do wrong by taking something important to them away :/

But yes, thank you for letting me know!

Last edited:
Clip one wing. I clip the right wing of all of my baby heritage turkeys that are not in a covered enclosure during the day, as well as all of my light bodied ducks when they are young.
I continue to clip one wing after the first molt- esp if I am still seeing them try to fly. I don’t usually need to continue clipping after that- but I don’t have mallards.

If you clip both wings, they can learn to flap more vigorously and still fly off.
Clipping one wing allows them the opportunity to get away from predators, but they fly in a bit of an arc and don’t tend to take off / fly “away” from “home”.

It has kept my heritage turkeys off my roof, and my Khaki Campbells in their run lol

Watch some tutorials.
YouTube has many that are helpful.

Make sure you have :
- Good, sharp scissors, with light serration if possible (serration not required- I just like my kitchen shears from CutCo)
Sharp is the most important part.
- a pair of small vice grips/ small pliers.
- - - If you do cut a feather too short and it bleeds, you have to pull the feather and shaft out of the wing. There is no way to stop the bleeding from a bleeding feather other than pulling the shaft.
.......don’t be afraid of that. I’ve never needed to pull a feather while clipping wings ....I only have had to do that to a Tom turkey after after a fight 🤦‍♀️
It takes a firm grip on the wing and a firm pull w the pliers but isn’t scary once you’ve done it once. Hardly worse than pulling a nose hair 😂 except that you have to hold the wing so you don’t hurt their “arm” when you pull the feather shaft.
....But I always have the tools right next to me just in case!
- wear pants and a long sleeve shirt.
- I’ve never had help- but I’m sure that would be an easier way to go! Lol

I would not hesitate at all to clip (only one) wing. Otherwise, put a top on their run and don’t let them range....
but. You would probably still end up clipping a wing to not have to watch them try to fly out :/

Just my 0.02$
Thank you, this is very helpful! Unfortunately we simply don’t have enough flat, open area for a run with adequate space for them, so clipping will have to be done if there’s a chance that they’ll fly off.

I’ll definitely see how they behave with one wing clipped, although the perfectionist in me will be a bit peeved at the asymmetry LOL I’ll see if I can get my brother to help—they are supposed to be his after all.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom