To Winter Feed or Not to Winter Feed?

I'm sorry but that's the one of the craziest things I've ever heard. If for no other reason then that during the cold of winter is when chickens are most in need of nutritious food to maintain warmth and good body condition. Chickens that are well cared for and healthy through the winter are chickens that are going to lay well in the spring. Birds who have been starved over the winter when forage is poor are obviously not going to perform well until they regain their health as these locals who do this apparently have already noted. And why loose perfectly good birds just by not feeding over the winter?! For as much time as it takes to bring a pullet to point of lay and start getting eggs only to not feed during the winter and loose birds? To me that's some kind of crazy reasoning lol!

I also would not add a bunch of extra corn to their diet. Layer feed is balanced nutrition and will see your birds through the winter just fine. I don't feed specific amounts per day, I just keep the feeder filled and let the hens eat what they need throughout the day. My birds also forage on pasture year around but there's not much out there for them during the middle of winter.

X 2 - and as for "only lose a few" - what kind of madness is that logic? "Well, only a few die, so it's okay not to feed them." --
th.gif
I seriously hope that this is just some massive misunderstanding.

Last edited:
X 2 - and as for "only lose a few" - what kind of madness is that logic? "Well, only a few die, so it's okay not to feed them." --
th.gif
I seriously hope that this is just some massive misunderstanding.
I have to second that. I can't imagine not feeding my birds at all. Even if you "only lose a few", they'd probably all be severely skinny and unhealthy.

Speaking of winter feed so far our main source of protein has gone dormant for the year so the chickens aren't getting any more. We are now down to layer pellets until I can get to the feed store this weekend to pick up some scratch or other grains to feed them. Any recommendations on what would help them maintain heat and still be able to keep on the weight?

RIchnSteph

I will add that my flock of 22 hens go thru 100 lbs of layer crumbles every 2 weeks. They also free range over 2 acres of yard and I give them scraps as well. Since u have more birds you will go thru way more than 50# / 2 weeks if you start feeding free choice. I plan on feeding my hens every day of their lives. I have beautiful glossy hens who lay huge eggs and molt easily.
I give fermented feed, and a bag of feed lasts 3 weeks for my flock of 16 birds. I'm wondering if your girls are beaking a lot of feed out into the litter, or if you have a rodent problem?

You have to decide for yourself on when and how much to feed. They get used to a "routine" and they know when and where to get treats, but they can also relearn when necessary.

IScavengers are opportunists which means that if the food is made available to them, they'll eat it whether they're hungry or not.

This is not really really true, most breeds of chicken will only eat what they need, they won't overeat, this 'eat until I fulfill my daily energy needs' is pretty hard wired in their genes...

The only real exception to this is genetically bred meat birds like Cornish X where that natural "I have enough" trigger has been diminished/removed so that they will eat more and plump up faster...

Chances are almost certain (less genetic meaties) that if your chickens are 'begging' for food it's because they are not getting enough food, or better said they are not getting enough 'good' food to provide for their daily energy needs and requirements...

You, also can't gauge this by how full their crop is or isn't... A chicken being deprived of a balanced diet will generally have a stuffed crop because it's going around all day eating anything in sight (low energy foods like grass) just hoping to get it's daily energy requirements out of whatever it can stuff in that day... The short is a full crop doesn't equate to it getting enough food, it could still technically be slowly starving or malnourished if the food in the crop isn't proving for it's daily energy and other needs...

Chickens (less meaties) should be offered food pretty much all the time, if you can't afford to feed them you need to reconsider how many you have or find an alternative way to provide for them...

I have said this in other threads, if you are struggling to provide for the birds, start going around to all the produce/grocery stores in your area and asking them if you can take their 'day old' produce and bread of their hands before they toss it in the dumpster out back... Most big chains will refuse the idea flat out but chances are real good you can find a smaller ma/pa grocery store that agrees, especially if you offer to sign a waiver of liability and a wavier that it's not for human consumption... I do this myself, not because I can't afford to feed them but because I believe a two tiered varied diet with daily change ups (pretty much equal to having great free range options) in addition to their static and staple always available feed is beneficial to the chickens...

Just by coincidence I took a picture of what I gave my birds today for a friend, this is all day old produce that I picked up the other day from one of my grocery store hook ups (this is about 1/10 of what I picked up that day) I scored over 50lbs of apples alone, and a dozen boxes of spinach that day, as well as enough misc prepackaged salad greens to fill a banana box, the next day I scored an entire box of bananas and more stuff from the same store... My chickens, goats and llamas eat quite well and on the cheap...

Speaking of winter feed so far our main source of protein has gone dormant for the year so the chickens aren't getting any more. We are now down to layer pellets until I can get to the feed store this weekend to pick up some scratch or other grains to feed them. Any recommendations on what would help them maintain heat and still be able to keep on the weight?

Skip the scratch (or at least only allow it to be up to 10% of their diet no more) and use about an 18% All-Flock or Meat Bird feed over the winter, while providing a side of oyster shells for the laying hens... If you can't get All-Flock or Meat Bird, get unmediated Chick Starter/Grower and give about 10% of scratch to lower the overall protein intake closer to 18%...

This is not really really true, most breeds of chicken will only eat what they need, they won't overeat, this 'eat until I fulfill my daily energy needs' is pretty hard wired in their genes...

The only real exception to this is genetically bred meat birds like Cornish X where that natural "I have enough" trigger has been diminished/removed so that they will eat more and plump up faster...

Chances are almost certain (less genetic meaties) that if your chickens are 'begging' for food it's because they are not getting enough food, or better said they are not getting enough 'good' food to provide for their daily energy needs and requirements...

You, also can't gauge this by how full their crop is or isn't... A chicken being deprived of a balanced diet will generally have a stuffed crop because it's going around all day eating anything in sight (low energy foods like grass) just hoping to get it's daily energy requirements out of whatever it can stuff in that day... The short is a full crop doesn't equate to it getting enough food, it could still technically be slowly starving or malnourished if the food in the crop isn't proving for it's daily energy and other needs...

Chickens (less meaties) should be offered food pretty much all the time, if you can't afford to feed them you need to reconsider how many you have or find an alternative way to provide for them...

I have said this in other threads, if you are struggling to provide for the birds, start going around to all the produce/grocery stores in your area and asking them if you can take their 'day old' produce and bread of their hands before they toss it in the dumpster out back... Most big chains will refuse the idea flat out but chances are real good you can find a smaller ma/pa grocery store that agrees, especially if you offer to sign a waiver of liability and a wavier that it's not for human consumption... I do this myself, not because I can't afford to feed them but because I believe a two tiered varied diet with daily change ups (pretty much equal to having great free range options) in addition to their static and staple always available feed is beneficial to the chickens...

Just by coincidence I took a picture of what I gave my birds today for a friend, this is all day old produce that I picked up the other day from one of my grocery store hook ups (this is about 1/10 of what I picked up that day) I scored over 50lbs of apples alone, and a dozen boxes of spinach that day, as well as enough misc prepackaged salad greens to fill a banana box, the next day I scored an entire box of bananas and more stuff from the same store... My chickens, goats and llamas eat quite well and on the cheap...

Once again, I stand corrected. I think I'm gonna just stop giving advice until I've got my PhD in chicken raising. LOL But seriously, if there's any chance of saying something that might cause harm to other people or their animals, it's best to just keep quiet. I do appreciate the info though. Thank you very much for your correction. :)

I will surely be keeping up on the feed this winter. I will continue on the grain that I am currently using. I have just hear that several people out here do not feed them during the winter and I thought that it was a little odd, but just wanted to check just in case I was missing something.

@RichnSteph : I know that the name of it is called Rooster Booster. The place here in Crossville TN called Bobs Feed & Fertilizer makes it, and has a patent or something on it. I know it's several different grains about 16% protein, has the little shale rocks it in that chickens need. People around here say that it is the BEST and will make your Roosters lay eggs, lol. THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. They fly all over me twice per day when I bring it out to feed them. The bag is about $14 each and they may ship some to you. If you want, maybe we can figure out a way to ship you a sample?

They are free range and will remain so over the winter to include the grain that I am feeding them. Right now I go through about 50# bag of the grain I buy almost every 2 weeks. I may consider adding some crumble and corn to it to help hold them over longer? I just throw the feed the ground and let them have a ball, no feeders at this point.

Back
Top Bottom