To worm or not to worm...that is the question!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dawnieworld, May 19, 2010.

1. dawnieworld

dawnieworld Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm new to the wonderful world of chicken keeping..I really need to know if you all worm your chickens or not. I've gotten so much different information on the subject. Sounds like ACV may help to control them and I will start using it soon. What I really need to know though is do you all use wormers on a consistant basis though? If so, what, when, how????

Your input is highly appreciated!

Thanks so much.......Dawn:)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I do not worm mine. I choose to not put chemicals in my birds. I give mine ACV and I read an article that chopped up garlic tops are a natural dewormer. So when my garlic is done in the garden, I chop up the tops for them with scissors and they love it.

I've had my chickens over a year, and never had a problem with worms. (I look frequently though to make sure)

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would suggest wormguard plus broad spectrum that can be added to the feed, and still keeping things all natural without having to worry about the safety of eggs.

I've been raising birds for over 30 years....I would only recommend something that is simple and works.

Please keep in mind that ACV still requires the waterers to be washed with soap and water, on a regular filling basis, because it creates it's own special slime ... [​IMG]

~ bigzio

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you read 'threehorses' messages on worming. I follow her directions to the letter.

5. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    So is wormguard an organic choice? Eggs are safe to eat? Where do you buy it and how/when do you administer? At what age?

6. Heathercp

Heathercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Durham, NC
    "threehorses" has so many messages to look through. Do you know of one in particular that spells out her approach?

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, here is a link to the website... I've used wormguard for years, and actually spend the money to have fecal samples checked by the vet...nothing ever observed....easy does it works for me!

http://www.theholistichorse.com/

~ bigzio

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You don't wait until you see worms to worm your birds, you take "preventative" action. Not only for worms but mites and predators too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by