to you who ordered from MPC

I got mine from MPC and I am absolutely thrilled! I ordered 30 and they sent me 32... all of which are alive and thriving! They're 6 weeks old now. I definitely plan on ordering from them again.

I'm another April 12th MPC!!!!
D.gif
It's getting close!!
wee.gif
My brooder is all set up!!!
bun.gif

Quote:
Me too! I have 4 already from a local breeder and can't believe they were ever that tiny and fuzzy, and they're just 5 weeks old now!

I've posted this in another thread but MPC actually has their own hatchery and sexers. I've emailed them to ask this very thing. They have hatcheries and breeding farms in various states in the US, they do this for bio-security reasons and to prevent losses of whole flocks if one happens to get a disease.

Quote:
Me too! I have 4 already from a local breeder and can't believe they were ever that tiny and fuzzy, and they're just 5 weeks old now!

I've posted this in another thread but MPC actually has their own hatchery and sexers. I've emailed them to ask this very thing. They have hatcheries and breeding farms in various states in the US, they do this for bio-security reasons and to prevent losses of whole flocks if one happens to get a disease.

you know, i thought so too....cuz when i was ordering they said they hatch on mondays and i just assumed "they" meant MPC. next week guys! (to all you april 12thers!)

Quote:

That is the spin they put on it. Their 'hatchery' is the space set aside for their orders at Meyer. MPC does not own a single hatchery or breeding farm. Most actual hatcheries don't own breeding farms either, they buy the eggs in. The primary reason for that isn't biosecurity, a farm that can produce enough hatching eggs for every breed that a hatchery requires would be enormous. Commercial farms raise certain breeds to provide hatching eggs for hatcheries.

Check the address label on your next order. It will have been drop-shipped.

i just called MPC, and the service is wounderful!!!! i was calling 'bout info on birds, the person i was talkin' too had chickens themselves!!! she recomneded i get sussex, just perfest for me! friendly, cold hardy, love to be held, great! she said their domninques were good show birds. their chanteclers were very cold hardy. their BOs were very friendly. Their rocks were great, ssssssooooo wounderful! it guves me some choices!
wee.gif
this is to you MPC:
love.gif
bow.gif
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Joyce in customer service has to think I'm a nut case. Oh wait! I am. I forgot....

I have to replace all of my MPC babies:(.......I had to give up all of my birds a few months ago.

I order the Rainbow Pullet Special in Oct. I was so excited I knew if my order wasn't shipped out the 13th it would have been on the 26th??. Funny how a week is only 7 days. No shipment one monday so the tuesday the following week I'm calling panicked because I don't want my chicks lost and Joyce comes back on and tells me I have another week. DRATS!

I had ordered 25 chicks. My husband had been holding me off. BUT!!!One day I decided to just call and then tell him later (like 3 weeks). By the time I did order? Well, while I was on the phone with Joyce they deleted the ad. Joyce called them and told them I was so excited and ( probably how I had talked her ear off) and asked if they could do one last order for me.

My 26 chicks showed up and out grew the brooder 3 times in as many weeks. Funny how those itty bitty things can grow so fast. Third time we gave them the rest of the space they needed until they were able to go outside.

They were healthy and beautiful. I really like MPC. They're so personable.

I do intend to order from them again, but I'll be needing new coops before that. Plus since we are still looking for a home with some land on it to buy, I hope it isn't going to have to wait a year. YIPES!!!! I gotta find the right place soon.

I have only bought grown birds, a few pullets and got eggs in the bator right now. Making up for my birds I had to give up.

Quote:

That is the spin they put on it. Their 'hatchery' is the space set aside for their orders at Meyer. MPC does not own a single hatchery or breeding farm. Most actual hatcheries don't own breeding farms either, they buy the eggs in. The primary reason for that isn't biosecurity, a farm that can produce enough hatching eggs for every breed that a hatchery requires would be enormous. Commercial farms raise certain breeds to provide hatching eggs for hatcheries.

Check the address label on your next order. It will have been drop-shipped.

Edited for briefness, from a response from MPC: "We're not a drop ship service, exactly. We do work with a hatchery, but use our own incubator space, employ our own chick sexers (for instance, My Pet Chicken is the only place in the country that sexes bantams), have our own breeds and so on. Our hatchery owns a number of breeding farms, and eggs are shipped to the centralized incubators from these disparate farms. These farms are located at a distance from the hatchery for biosecurity--if the worst should happen and a flock gets ill, it won't then affect ALL the breeding flocks. But they are a part of the network of our hatchery--they are not from a number of hatcheries.

But spreading out the laying farms--some, at least--is a common sense precaution in this business, and I would suspect all hatcheries do the same thing. Speaking commercially, you don't want the adult birds too close to the chicks, because a lot of the appeal of buying from a hatchery--any hatchery--is not only that you have so many choices, but also that the chicks are clean and healthy. Illnesses can be passed from hen to chick, but only with exposure. Our biosecurity measures are there to make sure that doesn't happen, so you can feel confident that your chicks will arrive without these diseases, but also without mites, lice, worms and so on.
"

Back
Top Bottom