Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Planning ahead here... So how often do you replace the flock? So, if have a flock for breeding when have you noticed the hens die or the Roos? I am thinking I have to keep new hens each year and have a young roo for the "just in case" factor of relatively short life span. Am I correct?

Planning ahead here... So how often do you replace the flock? So, if have a flock for breeding when have you noticed the hens die or the Roos? I am thinking I have to keep new hens each year and have a young roo for the "just in case" factor of relatively short life span. Am I correct?

I keep several roos, I have not culled much. A couple roos. This will be my first year I have had enough birds to make any adjustments.

I plan to keep a few hens every year. I will change roosters for next year, while keeping the future Bert. I will retire the Bert and pick 3-4 roosters for next years breeding. I would like a flock of a dozen or so I could have 5-6 dozen eggs a week next year. That way I could really spread the toads. I Would even raise a flock for the freezer if I can get that many.

You are right you need to always think "Just in Case" with these guys.

Sorry they are a tad dirty. The weather here has not be conducive to pen cleaning until yesterday.

For me, the optimal time to clean pens/barns is when I get motivated to do it.
thumbsup.gif

I am not sure I am qualified to teach preschool anymore. I am not sure how or why butI missed counted and I actually only have 6 Toads getting ready to hatch next Monday. I am thinking I will definitely be setting more as soon as they start laying and their eggs are decent sized. I don't like to do fall hatches up here in the north but I think it will be to my benefit when the time comes.

I am not sure I am qualified to teach preschool anymore. I am not sure how or why butI missed counted and I actually only have 6 Toads getting ready to hatch next Monday. I am thinking I will definitely be setting more as soon as they start laying and their eggs are decent sized. I don't like to do fall hatches up here in the north but I think it will be to my benefit when the time comes.

I agree, I hatch one late toad hatch or try too so they pullets lay in the spring, Which a couple of mine have not started doing.....Good luck!

BTW if it has been that long, I suppose I should throw the cowboy beans I put in the fridge out soon....
lau.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom