Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished reading the thread up to here. Very interesting and useful information! Many thanks to @duluthralphie et all! I think this will help me alot in my own cross breeding venture.

I understand there has been several recurring issues crop up with the health of the toad line. Primarily from the extreme gain genetics of the Cx. Not to be critical of trying anyways, my goals are very similar but starting with freedom rangers and mixed lots of heavy breeds chicks. I may well have much the same health challenges with mine.

My questions for those who've had/tried some of the toads or Cx crosses...

Would it be better for the gene pool and longevity to have several groups of Cx hens with different roosters? Roosters who are of a good size and traits to compliment, maybe even different breeds. Once the Cx hens eggs are laying normally you collect and hatch out as many as possible, assuming the first year will be their only.
The offspring become line A, B, etc. These could be spiral/clan mated. Obviously this assumes having the multiple pens etc and things going ideal.

Would it be better to start with 50/50 and 75/25 (only 25% Cx) crosses to help mix up the genetics enough to get them to live longer and be more fertile? Sure you'll initially lose some size. But if you can get better health overall then you'd buy time to work on all the kinks and get more chicks from them.

It seemed like everyone had losses last year. Is anyone still working on the toads?

It appears I will have a dozen eggs to go on Monday.

I will be offering them on the buy sell pages.

I should have a dozen every week on Mondays.

I prefer they stay close to start with. I also want whoever buys the to chronicle the raising of them on here .Please.

I am going to be asking A moderator to make sure I am not breaking a rule of BYC.

My preference is for NPIP places first. I would also like to know how many you would keep and raise.

What I am basically doing is trying to do is get my work spread out so I don't lose the genetics.

You have to know the line may not be stable yet. I have no idea when we will reach stability.

If you want to use the roosters on other hens, have at it, I just ask you keep a line true and breed the hens back to Toad roosters.

Toad eggs are extremely fertile right now, they may never be. I do not do AI, but it maybe something some one else would try.

I want to have a self sustaining flock, AI is not self sustaining in my book, it might be in yours.

Some tips on feeding Toads.

I do not keep the water and feed right next to each other, I make them walk, to the feed and the water, However, that has not been an issue in a couple generations, They eat a lot but lot like the CX. They are a very "meek" bird. They will be the bottom of a pecking order. They will not defend themselves, so watch out for bullies picking on them.

I have not decided a price yet. Maybe we can all do that together. I do know mailing a box of eggs in the 2-3 day priority mailer is roughly $25 with the foam egg sleeves.( a tad more with the top and bottom foams.

I do not want to give the eggs away, I want a person to want the toads as a line in their chicken operation/ranch/farm/backyard. I was always told something you get for free has no value. I am thinking 10 bucks for a dozen eggs. Plus the $25 to ship?

What" s everyone else's thoughts? I know that makes the toads more than CX cost at TSC. I think they are better birds though. I have to drive 5 miles into town to mail them. So that's a 10 mile drive plus the expense to get to this point which is WHO KNOW WHAT...
lau.gif

I am just trying to figure my costs and get a fair price, while I spread toads.

I know this is a rambling post. It is 3 am I cannot sleep and am thinking of the toads and letting my babies go.

Someone asked when they start laying. I have never known that as I never get eggs in the first fall from them, I need to get the birds over or into spring to get eggs. This is the first I have gotten eggs in January.

That is another thing we need to know. I am going to be taking some roosters out of my pen. I think I have too many, but I am not seeing any signs of rooster abuse, I do not think they knock each other off the hens. They are too large and to mellow to do that.

Ok Time for feedback.. I would mail chicks but I do not get 15 at a time which is the minimum to mail this time of year. I have not gotten those 72 hour heat packs. I am a little worried about them in the priority mailing boxes.

I will talk more with whoever is the first to get eggs about the mailing if it does not work. I am tempted to mail myself a box from another post office, and see what happens.

Discuss and then I will put the offer up on buy/trade sell. when we all decide.

Maybe together we can make a new breed and get it APA even.. We would have to call it dual purpose I suppose.. who knows...
Im interested. Look like good eating birds.

I'm still working but down to 1 rooster and 3 hens. Have my fingers crossed. I plan to cross the cx hens with new Hampshires and American Bresse. Then use rooster offspring against the CX hens again to create 75% CX.

It's all an experiment though. Keep us posted with your findings and I'll do the same.

I know it’s been a while since this thread was started, but is anyone still carrying on this project? I’m fascinated and the dressed out birds look great! I have a Cornish hen X Brahma but I’m interested in purchasing toad hatching eggs if available. TIA

I know it’s been a while since this thread was started, but is anyone still carrying on this project? I’m fascinated and the dressed out birds look great! I have a Cornish hen X Brahma but I’m interested in purchasing toad hatching eggs if available. TIA

Not very likely. It's about doing it yourself really.

I have gone thrue the entire thread for the very first time since it was started many years ago. I think the thread starter(Ralphie) did the best he could but I remember reading the OP and thinking it might not work due to the lack of proper feed restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom