today I found a...

When I cleaned up my parents front yard I knew there was one old sink hidden (my dad kept guppies in it) But I found 2 sinks, the kitchen faucet, enough p traps to build a new house, valves, water supply lines...............and his pipe wrench!

Did I mention that was the front yard?

I used to own a small antique shop. I would always go to auctions and antique shops looking for bargains that I could resell in my shop. One time I went to a local auction. At the very end they were auctioning off box lots, which are tables full of boxes of "junk". I've had some pretty good finds in box lots, and there weren't many people left at this point, so I snagged an entire table of boxes for 2 bucks. I spent the next week or so going through all the boxes. Many things were small tag items, but sellable. Other things were just plain junk. There were several antique books in rough shape. I was scanning through the pages of an old book, checking the condition, when I found a letter in an original post dated envelope. It was a letter that was typed but then hand-signed by John D. Rockefeller, dated in the late 1920's!!
ep.gif

I knew it was a good find, so I put it on Ebay, knowing I'd never get it's value locally. I ended up getting around $2500.00 for it. The highest bidder was a business man who now owns a former home of Rockefeller and collects various Rockefeller things. For two bucks, not to mention a few hundred dollars more that I made on the various other box contents, I got a good return for my investment!
clap.gif

But the letter in the book was a great discovery.

Quote:
I seem to remember something about walking into fences....
lau.gif

I bought an old book from an estate once that had 11 $100.00 bills inside it. I gave four bucks for the book and sold it on ebay for $450.00 (Without the money).

Niiiice deal!!
woot.gif

me too. I would never find something like that but i find all sorts of things that are valuable tome at least like that old hand forged shovel. I need to have it appraised. It would be my luck it's a real old piece of equipment actually worth something and I've been using it to dig in my garden! ha!

Quote:
lau.gif

I bought an old book from an estate once that had 11 $100.00 bills inside it. I gave four bucks for the book and sold it on ebay for $450.00 (Without the money).

Yeah it used to be in my sig line. My current one represents my life more accurately now.

Quote:
lau.gif

Yeah it used to be in my sig line. My current one represents my life more accurately now.

hugs.gif

That would have been cool to find!

When we moved into our house, we found an old typewriter in a leather case, wheel barrow (like the kids radio flyer type), and an old wooden rocking horse in the attic... looked them up and they are all circa-1920's. The typewriter had paper in it with random stuff typed out in it, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom