Today is 22nd day broody hen on eggs-How long?

dragondroolz

Hatching
Jan 30, 2016
Westcliffe, Colorado
On May 22 I noticed our Golden Laced was broody, so I moved her and 9 eggs to the garage. At day 10 I candled them all and got rid of 3 unfertilized eggs, leaving 6 that she's been diligently laying on. She is only 13 month old, so she is young, but I'm concerned as of writing this I'm not seeing any signs that these eggs will hatch, e.g no movement, peeping sounds, which I'm thinking I should maybe see? This is the first time trying this, so I'm a novice and have no ideal what I'm supposed to be looking for.
When I candled btw at 10 days there was definitely blood vessels and dark area indicating embryo development.
How long should I wait before giving up and forcing her (sadly) off the nest? We live at 8000ft elevation, and I'm wondering if our altitude and extreme dry air could effect naturally hatching eggs, since this could prematurely dry out the eggs, where they cant get into hatching position?
We are all feeling sad if they all died. Appreciate any advise or information.

My best advice is to just leave her be and give her a few days, don't lift her or bother her. They may be a bit delayed due to your elevation, or some other event that occurred during incubation.

Have you noticed her "talking" to her eggs? My broodies usually softly cluck to theirs while they're getting ready or are in the process of hatching.

Last edited:
No she hasn't been talking, just sitting in her trance quietly. Honestly wonder if she would be alive if I didnt remove her from the nest everyday. I did notice one day half the eggs were not under her and her wings were open as if she were overheating. She is determined.

I have just had a broody hatch 3 out of 6 eggs on day 24/25. The only reason I hadn't removed broody from nest was a lack of time. When I went to move her on the morning of day 25 there was a little yellow fluffy head poking out from under her wing. I have also had 6 of 12 eggs hatch after a broody abandoned eggs on day 21. The eggs were cold. It's amazing what the eggs can withstand. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, today when I came back home I heard chirping from underneath her wings! So excited! I raised the rooster as a baby almost exactly a year from today, and today one hatched from him, very amazing! How will I know she will not kill become "homicidal", is it usually immediately?

That's great news! Congratulations. I have never had a hen turn homicidal. She will continue to sit for a day or two to wait for other eggs to hatch, but as you know the babies will be sleeping lots and getting stronger. Try not to worry about the mum turning nasty and enjoy the babies! Glad at least some have hatched - keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom