Today is Hatch Day!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lauralou, Oct 8, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Congrats!!!! When are you going to send me those chicks? [​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:You should contact Tailfeathers. Not only is he a Welsummer breeder, but he has contacts with other breeders. That's how I got these eggs. I was too late to get eggs from him, breeding pens were already dismantled for the winter. But he hooked me up with someone else.

3. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:I can't send them. But you can come and get some. I have a trio of 12 week olds that need a new home. They don't need a new home desperately. I'm rather fond of them. Next time you're in the neighborhood... [​IMG]

4. Awwwwwww, what cute babies! [​IMG] My Animal Science class is about to have some hatch, 16 eggs due on the 14th of this month. Except their in a foam 'bator [​IMG] Lol.

5. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:That's so cool! Hope you have a great hatch.

Morning Update:

Blondie's hatch is complete. She has 7 chicks. I tossed her final egg as nonviable. It felt light, I heard no peeping when I tapped it, so I gave it a little shake, and it was sloshy. So, 7 out of 8 for Blondie. [​IMG]

Sugar has at least 3 babies out this morning. They were poking their little heads out looking at me So cute! I felt around underneath her (gingerly) and found 2 unhatched eggs. There may be more. I was being sooooo careful, I didn't reach in all the way. But so far, definitely 3 of 7 eggs have hatched.

More pictures to come.

In the meantime, here's a picture of my last Welsummer hatch. This is Tough Cookie with her 2 1/2 week old chicks.

[​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] Chicks all over the place!

7. acbear93

acbear93 Songster

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    I love that picture of blondie!!! Congrats on the chicks!!! [​IMG]

8. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    The hatch is complete. And wildly successful.

Blondie has her 7 babies, of course.

And Sugar has 4. The last 3 eggs were duds. I'm thrilled with the numbers, though. Eleven chicks out of 15 eggs that clearly had a very rough trip across the country. (I've been very lucky with my shipped eggs.)

Here is a picture of Sugar and her little ones.

[​IMG]

And just for laughs, here's another shot of Blondie, pretending to be a very big and scary chicken. She already has her babies out of the nest and running around the coop.

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments! [​IMG]

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi Laura,

Congratulations! [​IMG]

That's a great hatch and those are nice looking chicks. Glad it all worked out for ya!

God Bless,

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    AWWWWWWWW!!!!! They are so sweet! I still say that welsummer babies are the cutest of the cute chicks. You just can't resist thos chipmunk markings. [​IMG]

You have the best broody mamas ever! I wish my BOs were as good as yours. Neither one has ever shown any interest in going broody. Slackers.
    [​IMG]

Love, love, LOVE the baby pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: