Today is Hatch Day!

Congrats!!!! When are you going to send me those chicks?
tongue.png

Quote:
You should contact Tailfeathers. Not only is he a Welsummer breeder, but he has contacts with other breeders. That's how I got these eggs. I was too late to get eggs from him, breeding pens were already dismantled for the winter. But he hooked me up with someone else.

Quote:
I can't send them. But you can come and get some. I have a trio of 12 week olds that need a new home. They don't need a new home desperately. I'm rather fond of them. Next time you're in the neighborhood...
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's so cool! Hope you have a great hatch.

Morning Update:

Blondie's hatch is complete. She has 7 chicks. I tossed her final egg as nonviable. It felt light, I heard no peeping when I tapped it, so I gave it a little shake, and it was sloshy. So, 7 out of 8 for Blondie.
cool.png

Sugar has at least 3 babies out this morning. They were poking their little heads out looking at me So cute! I felt around underneath her (gingerly) and found 2 unhatched eggs. There may be more. I was being sooooo careful, I didn't reach in all the way. But so far, definitely 3 of 7 eggs have hatched.

More pictures to come.

In the meantime, here's a picture of my last Welsummer hatch. This is Tough Cookie with her 2 1/2 week old chicks.

100_2762.jpg

The hatch is complete. And wildly successful.

Blondie has her 7 babies, of course.

And Sugar has 4. The last 3 eggs were duds. I'm thrilled with the numbers, though. Eleven chicks out of 15 eggs that clearly had a very rough trip across the country. (I've been very lucky with my shipped eggs.)

Here is a picture of Sugar and her little ones.

100_2777.jpg

And just for laughs, here's another shot of Blondie, pretending to be a very big and scary chicken. She already has her babies out of the nest and running around the coop.

100_2786.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments!
smile.png

AWWWWWWWW!!!!! They are so sweet! I still say that welsummer babies are the cutest of the cute chicks. You just can't resist thos chipmunk markings.
smile.png

You have the best broody mamas ever! I wish my BOs were as good as yours. Neither one has ever shown any interest in going broody. Slackers.
big_smile.png

Love, love, LOVE the baby pics!

Back
Top Bottom