Today is not a good day here at the farm *Updated*...

Shadowhills Farm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
DuPont, Washington
Today is just NOT a good day for us or the critters...

We haven't been feeling good ( I guess we got something that's been going around). The critters have all been OK until this afternoon. We went to go outside to take care of them and do stuff with them, when a HUGE (like 60 mph) gust of wind came up (it has been bad all day!) and blew the duck pen over!

The 5 ducklings and Quackers were inside it when it blew over- and they got tangled up. The were making noise and crying for help. We got them untangled and the pen was laying on it's side. Now this pen has been up for a while, and we have had other windy days. There were even buckets that had like 3 inches of water in them- they didn't budge.

So now Quackers is free ranging with Squirt, and the 5 ducklings are together in the large crate. We are afraid that a Pine Tree will crack and land on the chicken coop, so we pulled the chickens out of there.

Today is just not a good day- it is making both of us want to give up keeping chickens and ducks.

hit.gif

Last edited:
Awwwwwwww. I'm sorry you are having a rough time today.
hugs.gif
No, don't give up. I know its been real windy, much worse where your from!! Are your little guys going to be okay? Just keep an eye on them to watch for any trouble. I wish you the best, keep us posted on theirs and your progress.
fl.gif

So sorry for you troubles!! Illinois has seemed to pull in more wind than ever before, and its GUSTS that are like the ones you just had. Not a gentle breeze, but damaging!! Hope you can get everyone situated soon!! and, you feel better.

b.hromada :

Awwwwwwww. I'm sorry you are having a rough time today.
hugs.gif
No, don't give up. I know its been real windy, much worse where your from!! Are your little guys going to be okay? Just keep an eye on them to watch for any trouble. I wish you the best, keep us posted on theirs and your progress.
fl.gif

It's been gusting 40mph+ here, with NO intention of giving up!

I think they will be ok, I was freaking out when I saw them stuck after the pen blew over. I felt so bad and I tried to pick them all up, but they were scared as well. I will be checking on them periodically to make sure they are OK. I am hoping no one got leg injuries.

Thanks for the thoughts
smile.png
I am sure the chickens and ducks appreciate it too​

We were going to attempt to move the run to an area with less wind.... but can't find an area... due to the crappy clearing job that was done on our property, the area where the house, horse pastures, and poultry pens is a big wind tunnel. It all goes in a circle around it. We've never had the pen even look like it was going to flip before. But walking back from stalls, huge gust happens, and see the tarp that acts as a semi-roof snap. And the whole thing just flips and slides about 10 feet. It was an old 5x15 steel dog run too
hmm.png

Oh well time to see if we can build a new coop for the $30 we have between us at the moment.

I hope things get better for ya in FL. I know how you feel with the animals. I recently lost one of my cows and I truly wanted to jst get rid of all my criiters, I get too attached to them. Very emotional when losing one of them. But just think of all the joy having pets!

Back
Top Bottom