Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
I noticed today that my BR cockeral, who is the same one that tore himself open when hatching, has an issue with his toes. His outermost toe and back toe are fine, but his 2 innermost toes roll to the outside of the foot. The toes are straight, but it rolls on it's side. I never noticed this when he was a chick, but it's possible it was there and is now noticeable with his size.

Do you think chick shoes would work for him at this point, or is it too late?

ETA: he seems to get around fine, but he is the runt so he does get picked some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't hurt to try. Do they still work? Grasp a roost and does it walk ok? If the toes still work fine I wouldn't bother just give it some poly vi sol. Not sure hoe much to give a 7 week old. Maybe one of the more knowlegable people will come along and give better advice. I have one that had gotten its toe broken but I didn't notice it until it was already mended. So it just has a crooked toe and he's 8 weeks old.

Kelly, I'm having the same problem with one of my 4 week old chicks. She was the first to hatch but had tons of problems. In fact, for about a week, I wasn't sure she'd make it. Now her inner toe on one foot is curled to the side. I'm going to try the Poly Vi-sol and hope for the best. She's already overcome so much to get to this point. I'm going to give her every chance to make it. If worse comes to worse, she'll end up in a pen where she doesn't need to roost.

I found another spot on the forum earlier today that recommended giving the bird drops of Poly-vi-sol directly to the beaks and adding 2-3 droppers full to a gallon of water. I forget who posted it but she said she replenished the water twice a day and kept them on the supplement for about a week. She said after a couple of days, she could no longer tell which of her birds had had the curled toes. Maybe we'll have similar luck.

My baby also had issues with her umbilical cord and a two week battle with pasty butt. With everything we've been through, needless to mention, she's quite spoiled.

I'll keep you posted if you do the same.

Denise

Quote:
Thank you. Guess I'll have to go get some poly vi sol tomorrow. I too have battled pasty butt. I'm glad he made it, but it's definitely been more work than the others.

how's your chick doing?

I noticed this morning that the others have started to roost, but the one with the toe problem is not. I gave him some poly vi sol this morning. (wasn't as easy as I thought and gosh I forgot how sharp those little chick toenails are.....OUCH) I had some vitamin and electrolyte for chickens as well, so I put that in the water. (figure it won't hurt the others to have some vitamins) So we'll see how he does.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that Peanut's foot is looking better to me. Her middle toe is extremely crooked and the outside toe was starting to curl outward too. Luckily, I took a few pictures so I'd have something objective to judge by.

I've been giving her 2 drops of Poly-vi-sol daily and adding it to the water. I figure if one chick has vitamin deficiency problems, the rest could probably use something, too. It may be my imagination, but they all seem bigger. Peanut seems like she's gotten bigger, too. Although, I guess she'll always been smaller than the rest of them.

I plan to take more pictures tonight and compare them just to make sure it's not wishful thinking on my part.

Denise

Quote:
I was battling pasty butt constantly with the 2 Salmon Favorelles in the brooder. I took some advice I read on the Emergencies forum and added a little dish of sand in the brooder. They love to play in it and eat a little too. I have not had a problem since. If they do it a little stuck it is firm and just on the feathers where I can pick it off. Before, they had sticky yuck all over their behinds and their vents were stuck closed. I was having to soak them several times a day. Only the Favs, none of the other breeds had a problem. Since adding the sand NO PROBLEM at all!
D.gif

This is how bad it got. I call my chickens the Celebrity Chicks and they all have names of famous people. This one's name?

34566_sex-6.jpg

PASTY CLINE!
gig.gif

Warden.........that's good to know, thanks. He appears to be done with pasty butt. Now we are on to feet issues. And no tail feathers.

No change in his feet yet. I'm continuing with the vitamins. I'm giving him vitamins directly on his beak and also in the waterer.

How's yours?

Back
Top Bottom