Toenail on wing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by californiagirl, Mar 18, 2012.

1. californiagirl

californiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    I have a 2 week old Speckled Sussex named Sundae who appears to have a toenail at the carpal joint of each wing. My other chicks are 4 days to one week old and all of different breeds, so I can't compare her to the others. I never noticed this in our previous batch of chicks and I can't seem to find any mention of it in the forums.

Has anyone heard of this? The kids think maybe we have a baby dinosaur on our hands (ha ha!), but I'm wondering if maybe "she" is really a "he". We keep hens for pets & eggs, so I am afraid to get attached just in case we have to find a new home for Sundae. She's pretty wiggly and not used to being held, but is very good with the younger chicks and not aggressive at all. In fact, they all snuggle up to her when it's nap time.

In the photo below, the toenail is under the fluff that extends out from the wing, just below my fingers. I didn't know how to edit the picture to label it exactly. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Most of my birds have this, it freaks me out a little as I do not like getting poked by a nail when picking them up!

3. californiagirl

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    Here's a full picture of Sundae:

[​IMG]

4. Weird....

Hoatzin is the smelliest breed of bird on earth, the parents and their kids will clutch together to raise baby birds, and the baby birds have nails on there wings so if they fall out of the tree they can climb back up.

Maybe you have a Hoatzin.....

Heres a pic, i always thought they were awesome, smelly or not

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can TOTALLY see the resemblence LOL

5. Oh i see the nail! weird, i dont think that means its a rooster... ?

6. I looked it up (some one else bought a chicken with 3 wings and 2 toenails on its wings LOL) and well chickens evolved from dinosaurs, so some chickens just have them, I wouldnt worry too much

7. californiagirl

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    My kids want to change her name to "Velociraptor". I can just see them asking their friends, "Hey, you want to go outside and hold The Raptor?" I'm sure we'll be put on the No Playdates List!

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    archaeopteryx lives! This is possibly my favorite dinosaur ever! I want one!

9. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    [​IMG]

10. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    OoOooo Dinosaurus Rex!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by