Tolbunt Polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Sep 7, 2010.

1. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    What exactly is a tolbunt polish color suppose to be ?

Can some one please describe the color.

Are they suppose to be Mottled, Spangled or Speckled, or like Millie Fluer [​IMG]
    I have seen some Tolbunts with Gold lacing ?

I know Tolbunt polish breeds could not decide on the same standard, but what is the color suppose to be more or less.

I have seen different shades & color patterns in them.

Thank You,

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The Tolbunt is its own color/ variety just like Mottled, Spangled and Millie Fluer are there own variety.
    If memory serves me right you make the color/ variety by crossing Gold Single Laced and Mille Fleur, and then intercross the F1's.
    Here is a link to the Polish Breeders Club that giver a good description on what the variety should look like..
    http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/tolbunt.htm

Chris

1 person likes this.
  3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I've heard some folks say its mille fleur on gold lacing, but one of the genetic guru's here on BYC said its *mottling* on gold lacing - and IIRC, they were pretty adamant that mille fleur would mess it up.

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have wondered, and even asked what Tolbunt meant to no avail.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:A lot depends on how you talk too.
    Henk69 says you can get it from crossing by crossing Gold Single Laced and Mille Fleur, and then intercross the F1's
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=330325&p=3

But Blackdott says that you should use Gold Single Laced crossed with Mottling and that Mille Fleur should not be used...

Chris

6. josh44

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I read that Russian orlorffs can be used also ???

7. josh44

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Does anybody Have any tolbunts here on BYC ?
    If so can you post some pics. I'd really like to see some.

The color patterns & shades Varry from what I can see.

So I'm guessing, & I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that people made them their own way using different breeds to get the tolbunt color [​IMG]

Is there something written out that explains the genetics or creation of the Tolbunt color ?

8. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Baregretchen has stunning Tolbunts-give her a pm including this thread:)

10. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Josh,

There's a lot of outdated information out there regarding Tollbunt Polish, frankly due to the fact that we hadn't much of a clue how to go about breeding them when we first got them. Speaking as someone who tried the Orloff cross it is a complete waste of time, don't do it.

That being said, The proper patterning in Polish is a deep mahoghany brown base color with black laced edging of equal thickness which comes to the feather's tip and the tip is then mottled in white in the teardrop pattern. So to outcross you would want to use gold lace Polish. BUT part of the problem in that is that gold polish in the states are too orange to maintain the deep rich brown that is found in good tollbunts.....its kind of the same situation as what happened when folks started crossing gold laced wyandottes into blue laced reds.

The original Tollbunts that were imported into the U.S. were not from the best specimens but we could not have known that at the time as there was so much confusion about them. At one point we realized what we were breeding was so different that it should be a different color (some suggested to call it Harlequin) but that plan never came to fruition as there simply wasn't enough birds to go around to try to breed them into two seperate patterns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by