Tolbunt Polish

Question for those who breed or have raised multiple chicks - do their crests and breast areas get the rust colored feathers as young chicks normally? I have no experience with Tolbunts previous to this and both my chicks only have black/white feathering in top. I looked for more info online, but there isn't much to address my specific question. Thanks in advance!
1f60e.png

The tolbunt pattern should have 50% red, 25% black and 25% white. There should be lacing and mottling. I think you should only have solid white feathers in the wing primary feathers.

They have been an approved color in Germany and they are working out the standard here in America still.

Hello everyone! I read through the first 11 pages, but that was all. lol

Anyway. What is the best chicken to breed with a Gold laced Polish to start the tolbunt adventure? A good friend of mine has had nothing but DIS and quitters in her incubator from shipped eggs and we're thinking it could be an inbreeding issue from the parent stock.

It sounds like Mille Fluer and Speckled Sussex are out of the question and Russian Orloffs are a big no-no. I can see Houdan working, but how many generations would it take to get good lacing back while keeping the feathers white tipped? One more question. If my friend could get ahold of a Tolbunt Rooster, cross it with gold laced hens, then back to the rooster, half the back crosses would be tolbunt, right? Thank you or being patient with all of my questions.

Can you tell me if my little frizzle pullet in front is considered tolbunt? My son is showing her on 4H at our county fair next month and I want to make sure we are describing her color variety as best as possible. Thanks
1f60a.png

We'd like to begin breeding polish and would love to figure out how to get tolbunt and candy corn/crele, but we're new to the polish breed. We've had one golden laced pullet for several months that my kids begged me for and now absolutely love, and she has finally begun to lay. They call her "Mohawk", and I don't have the heart to tell them that she's actually got more of an afro, LOL. Right now she's being kept with our Seramas since our big birds were picking on her too much. One of our broody Serama Mommas is sitting on a couple of her eggs right now, so we'll soon find out what a Polish/Serama cross looks like. I'm not 100% sure that the tiny Serama roosters have been successful in breeding her, but we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, we've liked Mohawk her so much that I picked up a dozen more Polish chicks from a local seller about three weeks ago. Nothing too fancy, he gets most of his birds from Privett, which is only about an hour away from us, and that's where these came from. The varieties that I got from him were golden laced and white crested black polish. Once they're feathered out enough to go outside, we'll put Miss Mohawk with her new little friends in their own coop.

So here are some questions that I have:

What other varieties would I need to add to get tolbunt and crele/candy corn? If I understand correctly, adding Motled and/or Mille Fleur and crossing them to the gold laced will give me give me tolbunt, is that correct? Crossing the golden laced with the white crested black will give us all black from what I've read. No idea though how to get the candy corn/crele though, so I'd love to know if anyone can advise. Does anyone know of a hatchery that sells motled and/or mille fleur varieties to add to our flock to get the tobunt? What will the white crested black crossed to motled or mille fleur result in?

Also, I know that these aren't standard varieties, but will the tolbunt and crele/candy corn breed true once you've got them? Thanks, sorry for the noob questions!

Back
Top Bottom