Tom has been a little off

StaceyHearn

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2023
Hi everyone. I’m brand new here. I am also a new turkey/chicken owner. One of my Toms (BB white turkey) has been slightly off this last week. It did start when our weather went to 90 for 3 days. Now it’s very comfortable. He’s been in a slightly crouched position with head low. Feathers slightly ruffled. I noticed his eyes are pretty dilated compared to my other Tom. But he’s eating like normal. Drinking. Talking snacks. Forging etc. But my gut just tells me something is brewing. No diarrhea. No yellow poop. It is dry looking with almost looks like grains/seeds. That’s new. Any advice would be so appreciated. Also I am giving him rooster booster. Crushed garlic in his water. Probiotic and electrolytes. Also a drop of oil of oregano in his water.

Thank you.

Hi everyone. I’m brand new here. I am also a new turkey/chicken owner. One of my Toms (BB white turkey) has been slightly off this last week. It did start when our weather went to 90 for 3 days. Now it’s very comfortable. He’s been in a slightly crouched position with head low. Feathers slightly ruffled. I noticed his eyes are pretty dilated compared to my other Tom. But he’s eating like normal. Drinking. Talking snacks. Forging etc. But my gut just tells me something is brewing. No diarrhea. No yellow poop. It is dry looking with almost looks like grains/seeds. That’s new. Any advice would be so appreciated. Also I am giving him rooster booster. Crushed garlic in his water. Probiotic and electrolytes. Also a drop of oil of oregano in his water.

Thank you.
Stop the garlic immediately. Garlic is an allium and alliums are harmful to poultry.

does he have access to regular plain water? they can become dehydrated if there's too much electrolytes in the water... basically turns it into saltwater. Rooster booster has alot of salt and ppl often use too much.

Welcome to BYC. If he were mine, I would stop adding anything to his water and offer just plain water. I would also get a baseline weight and tube feed a bunch of fluids. I would tube fluids because sick birds are almost always a little dehydrated.

Have you seen any cecal poops from him? I always worry about blackhead when they are sick.

Do you know how to tube feed?

The loose brown poops? I have seen a few, yes. But everything is normal there. He’s acting his normal self now.

Back
Top Bottom