Tom Turkey attacking my hen

mrsshanks2016

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone.. i have never had a turkey before. Chickens my whole life.. but new to turkeys. I have a TOm that is about 8 months old that has been sitting on eggs... (I think this is why) I caught him attacking one of my hens (chicken) could it be because of the nest? Will he behave if she survives the attack and I put her back outside? Right now she is inside recouping, I am hoping she makes it through the night. SHe is one of my oldest hens... 7 years old.. well past her laying days but she is my baby girl.... i am so sad for her. She has survived so much (hawks/coyotes/snakes) and now for my LAP Tom to maybe be her end is so sad... should I be concerned for my other girls? I removed the eggs/nest so he has no reason to be so "on guard". These were not even turkey eggs, he took over one of my duck nests from an immature duck that wasn't even nesting on it.

Hello everyone.. i have never had a turkey before. Chickens my whole life.. but new to turkeys. I have a TOm that is about 8 months old that has been sitting on eggs... (I think this is why) I caught him attacking one of my hens (chicken) could it be because of the nest? Will he behave if she survives the attack and I put her back outside? Right now she is inside recouping, I am hoping she makes it through the night. SHe is one of my oldest hens... 7 years old.. well past her laying days but she is my baby girl.... i am so sad for her. She has survived so much (hawks/coyotes/snakes) and now for my LAP Tom to maybe be her end is so sad... should I be concerned for my other girls? I removed the eggs/nest so he has no reason to be so "on guard". These were not even turkey eggs, he took over one of my duck nests from an immature duck that wasn't even nesting on it.
It is never a good idea to keep a lone tom with chickens. You will have to separate the tom from your chickens. If you don't separate him, he will start killing your chickens as he tries to breed them. I recommend you either get at least a couple of turkey hens for him or else rehome him to someone that has turkeys.

i appreciate that, however, we have turkey hens, sorry I should have led with that, it wasn't a breeding issue, he was attacking her. Is this normal due to the nesting security?

Sorry, Idk anything about turkeys, but WELCOME TO THE BYC!

i appreciate that, however, we have turkey hens, sorry I should have led with that, it wasn't a breeding issue, he was attacking her. Is this normal due to the nesting security?
Turkeys get an idea in their head and get very single minded about carrying out the idea.

The most likely scenario is that the hen was trying to lay an egg in the nest which may have set the tom off. She will never be safe around him again.

Toms should never have access to nests whether they are turkey or chicken nests. At the least, they will take a turkey hen setting on a nest as an invitation to breed. These attempts never have any good results. At the least, eggs will be broken. At the worst the hen will be injured or killed.

Thank you.. her back of her head is pretty bloody, still feathered, my bulldog alerted me to the attack so i caught it early..... he was literally hitting her with his head. I checked her for spur marks, didn't see any. I cleaned her wound and put a topical antibacteria ointment I have on hand and have used for 10+ years. I was raised with chickens.. so they are pretty "normal" for me. Any additional pointers are always welcomed, I know old school stuff since i have been around them for over 40 years.

She is currently in my "rehab" room AKA Pig/dog room in my house. Can we say SPOILED. lol
I honestly don't expect her to make the night, but hoping she does. She is an old lady and been through a lot. (complete with only 1 leg from a hawk injury when she was younger)

Turkeys get an idea in their head and get very single minded about carrying out the idea.

The most likely scenario is that the hen was trying to lay an egg in the nest which may have set the tom off. She will never be safe around him again.

Toms should never have access to nests whether they are turkey or chicken nests. At the least, they will take a turkey hen setting on a nest as an invitation to breed. These attempts never have any good results. At the least, eggs will be broken. At the worst the hen will be injured or killed.

Dang it. Yeah I moved my Turkey Hen to a "safe" place that only she can reach/access (too small for him) my hens typically lay in raised boxes, rather than ground and my Foggy (the attacked hen) is well past laying age, (7years old) I have not had an egg from her in over 3 years. Looks like Foggy will get her very own coop now. Will build it if she recovers while inside. Stinkin Cass. (Tom turkey) Thank you for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom