Tom Turkey disinterested I think?

One hen is laying. I am not sure if the other is. One is more protective of the nest then the other. They both sit in the nest if allowed. They will not go out and eat or sit in the sun they just sit in the house and Brood. Yes we want eggs, and chicks would be great. So I take away the eggs for now. The eggs are NOT fertile so leaving them in the nest is a waste. I push them out of the house at 10 am. I close the door and they are locked-out in the run with the TOM, food, water and fresh wild herbs and grass that I pick every day. At 4PM I open the door to the house. The girls fly in and sit on the nest directly not moving until the next day. The TOM stays in the run alone until it is dark then goes in on his own.
Looking for tips on how to get the TOM on the job!
I can not pet our hens so that's not an option like what Gorman Farm did.

One hen is laying. I am not sure if the other is. One is more protective of the nest then the other. They both sit in the nest if allowed. They will not go out and eat or sit in the sun they just sit in the house and Brood. Yes we want eggs, and chicks would be great. So I take away the eggs for now. The eggs are NOT fertile so leaving them in the nest is a waste. I push them out of the house at 10 am. I close the door and they are locked-out in the run with the TOM, food, water and fresh wild herbs and grass that I pick every day. At 4PM I open the door to the house. The girls fly in and sit on the nest directly not moving until the next day. The TOM stays in the run alone until it is dark then goes in on his own.
Looking for tips on how to get the TOM on the job!
I can not pet our hens so that's not an option like what Gorman Farm did.
LOL I would not recommend what I did, that was just me being me...I had no idea that would happen.
May I suggest since you feel pretty sure the eggs they are sitting on are not viable, and since even if they were they won't be now because the hens were on and off, crack them open in a bowl and see if they were perhaps fertile, Tom may be sneaky.
You really have no choice but to let nature take its course. Or you can "AI" but that involves touching and handling all your turkeys.

I have been taking out the eggs and eating them. No point in wasting more. Seem to be laying 1 egg every other day.
Here are some photos...just 'cause.. You can see the ladies in the back in the "forest nest" that I built out of bamboo and pine branches. They were nesting on the top shelf. The other photo is from outside in the run looking in. You can see the TOM Sam pacing infront of them, keeping them safe.

Last edited:

I have been taking out the eggs and eating them. No point in wasting more. Seem to be laying 1 egg every other day.
Here are some photos...just 'cause.. You can see the ladies in the back in the "forest nest" that I built out of bamboo and pine branches. They were nesting on the top shelf. The other photo is from outside in the run looking in. You can see the TOM Sam pacing infront of them, keeping them safe.
When you cracked them open were they fertile did you see the bulls eye in the yolk?

Hi,
Nice looking turkeys.
We have some bourbon reds (1 tom with a few hens) and we don't often see them mate. They have been laying for a while now and one has gone broody.

Hi, Since they have been out in the run during the day we are not getting any more eggs, only 1 this week ( I gave it away as a birthday present
love.gif
).
I think it irritates her that she is not in her rhythm of laying when ever she wants. They are out together from 10am - 4pm. The broody hen stands by the gate all day and cry's about wanting to go back in.
he.gif

My husband is going to keep the schedule for me over the weekend while I am gone. Then I will leave them to do what they want next week. See how the egg laying goes and if any of them are fertile.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom