Tom turkey started attacking me, what to do?

Thanks for the information. I told my in-laws to tell the kids not to go in there that he might attack or at least have an adult with them. One of our hens that stopped nesting found the gorup of chicken eggs that no one was nesting on and started nesting on them. Looks funny cause she is to big for the nest but I don't want to disturb her by moving her into a bigger nest since she hasn't even hardly got out to eat for two days. The white hen is the only one not sitting which I don't think she could fit into one of the chicken nests. She still has her attitude she got while being broody but is a nice hen otherwise.

quote=Harp Turkey RanchThe best way to deal with an aggressive tom is to take him to freezer camp and find yourself a new one.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

freezer camp now thats a good one
i never had an agressive tom
most will strut and follow you like a dog
loved to be around people but the hens would peck the @#$%$ out of you if you tryed to mess with them

My Holland White tom comes at me if I'm carrying a water bucket. Somehow the bucket confuses his peabrain and he starts stalking me and will jump on me if I turn my back on him while carrying the bucket.
He can be loose in the barn or yard all day with no problem. He will follow me around and talk to me and is great. The minute I pick up a bucket and walk past him he gets aggressive. So, now I keep him penned until the chores are done and then I let him out to freerange.
I don't feed him from a bucket. So, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with food. I really think he thinks the bucket is either another tom or maybe when I am holding it he thinks I'm strutting?
Try going into the pen without a bucket to see if that makes any difference. It does with mine.

All I have to do is bring my sister's Maltese (tiny white dog maybe 6 pounds) outside. The turkeys run real fast. Rottweiler was no problem, but the little dog.... he's super scary for some reason. They hide in the corner of the run, and the chickens run into the coop. Needless to say, he doesn't travel to visit the birds very often.

Can a Tom harm a human? How risky of a proposition is having an aggressive Tom. I have had my tom and hens for two weeks, today the Tom came towards me, I didn't have anything so I just stuck my leg out and he stood there for a few minutes and then left. Should I be concerned?

We have raised many hundreds of turkeys at least for the last 15 years and have had 1 agressive tom. They are large birds to be sure, if they see you as a threat or weaker they will come at you just like any animal will. Be it dog, chicken, horse, the creepy teenager next door.
smile.png
Once you show fear or they think they can get over on you it's all over.

How did the tom come at you CDennis? was he struting? making any sounds?

Steve in NC

Quote:
I'm assuming from what you wrote that the tom just walked towards you -- my advice would be different if he came running and attacking you.

Don't worry, Turkeys can't really hurt a grown human other than if you are sitting on the ground, he might try to climb on your back thinking it's a hen. You are probably just getting used to his behavior. I wouldn't feel safe letting a small child around hiim though because they can peck in the eyes or scratch them up bad because they are small. I doubt he was trying to attack you in any way -- he was probably just curious about what you were doing. 99% of what is on tom's mind is, when can I mate with the hen? I think it's best to ignore the toms, rather than create what could be perceived as a confrontation. HOwever, if you'd like to make sure he knows you are alpha, just pick him up and put him down once or twice -- that tells him YOU are in control. If you can't pick him up, just make an aggressive step toward him. if i were you I would not wave hands or throw things or hit him with a stick or broom or anything like that because you will make him mean. Just ignore him mostly. My toms have been very mild-mannered, just curious.

Last edited:
How did the tom come at you CDennis? was he struting? making any sounds?

He was strutting and making sounds, we raise patrol k9's so I am not typically intimidated by animals but since I don't know much about turkeys and he is fairly large I didn't know the appropriate way to handle the situation. Sounds like just w/ dogs dominance is key. I will work on that!​

My Toms will puff up, gobble and follow me around the yard like a big turkey train, never been aggressive to me, just showing off. They even come to the sliding glass door and look for me............
lol.png
If I even feel a little disrespect though i will step towards them and using my legs herd them in a different direction, not hitting them, just pushing them along.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom