Tomato hornworm tragedy

chickentales

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Arizona
My week old bb turkey found a hornworm and choked it down. That night he died. Has anyone ever had this problem??
sad.png

Thank you.

He was so healthy until he ate that. It was as big as his head and afterwards his crop was so hard. I felt like a bad turkey mom.

Aw so sorry. He must have found something else afterwards that you may not have seen him eat if his crop was hard. I don't think a hornworm would do that. Poor baby
sad.png
I'm sure you are a fine mom!

Quote:
Oh yes turkey poults are the absolute SWEETEST little things...ugly little suckers but sweet...lol! Ours are so mild mannered and lovey
smile.png
I have some in the bator now. I can't wait!

I got 20 chickens and two turkeys about 5 weeks ago. Now i'm down one turkey and the one left has been strutting and bossing all the chickens around. I'm not sure if i'll hatch my own. I need to learn more about what i'm doing and be a responsible owner. How exciting for you though!

Young poults are more delicate than chicks by a long shot, but once you get them up past 8 weeks or so...those things are about indestructable! My tom got attacked by a dog at about 12 weeks, went into shock and had about 4 pretty bad puncture wounds...now he's about to be a daddy
big_smile.png
They are SO much fun! They are really my favorite bird.

HI ! I'm sorry to disagree, but I think the tomato hornworm COULD have killed your poult. Tomato PLANTS, not the actual tomato, are poisonous. Read here:

One example is the tobacco hornworm, which concentrates nicotine to a toxic level in its body as it consumes tobacco plants. Poisoning of small consumers can be passed along the food chain to affect the consumers later on.

Jen
idunno.gif

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom