tomato snacks?

mistylady

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Ohio near Coshocton
My tomato plants have decided to produce some fruit! Can I give some to the hens for a treat? They are totally organic grown. No pesticides and the only fertilizer is a little chicken poop! Thank you!

ETA I'll take the seeds out of the fruit if that will make the chickens happier.

Last edited:
I have always heard that tomatoes are a no-no for chickens.....but mine love'em!!! I don't give them alot of them just the tops when I cut one up.

Thank you!
smile.png

Why would tomatoes be a no-no?
hu.gif

Our chickens have been feasting on garden leftovers and picking our tomato vines clean for three generations. Is there some new health risk associated with this behavior of which I am unaware?

Quote:
I planted heirloom tomatoes also. They are called German Queen. One plant is huge, covered in lush green leaves and full of fruit and the other four look like big green sticks with a few leaves and some fruit!

My chickens are tomato thieves!!! I surround my garden with a fence and then put chicken wire on top of that just to keep them out of the tomatoes!!

It's my firm belief that a chicken is smart enough not to eat anything that is going to hurt it. The things eat styrofoam insulation and survive!

Back
Top Bottom