Tomatoes

katiebrock

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Milledgeville, Georgia
i am growing four Roma tomato plants and four Beefsteak tomato plants. There are two Romas that have a tomato on them, but it seems like the flowers on the Beefsteak plants are not developing and are falling off. Is this a pollination problem? What should I do?

You need to provide your location and climate type info. Wet, hot, dry, cold, etc?

Blossom development can be impeded by lack of calcium. Add crushed oyster shell or egg shell into soil around the plants. Otherwise, others may have input.

Blossom drop can be caused by so many things but usually it's temp or humidity (both too high or too low). It happened to me late last summer because it was sooo stinking wet & humid that nothing could pollinate so the flowers just dropped. I went out & shook the plants every day, but it didn't help, it was just way too wet to pollinate.

I had this problem last year and I got maybe one tomato on my plantbecayde nothing could pollinate with it being so wet out. You can take a qtip and wipe inside each of the flowers gently and it'll pollinate the flowers, I did this with my dwarf Meyer lemon tree and we had lemons growing until the dogs ate them! The woman at the greenhouse advised I did it because we kept it inside so no bugs were available to pollinate it.

Hopefully this year it wont be a wet summer because I had enough of that last year!

I had to hand pollinate my squash last year to get any! Squash is usually something people can't give away by the end of the year! LOL

Here's hoping for a better growing season this year.

I had to hand pollinate my squash last year to get any! Squash is usually something people can't give away by the end of the year! LOL

Here's hoping for a better growing season this year.
:lau I've got spaghetti squash growing for the chickens and my family. I'm sure we will have had it with squash by fall time.

This better be a good growing season, it's the first time in years that I've planted over 100 different plants. Hoping for enough to can!

i am growing four Roma tomato plants and four Beefsteak tomato plants. There are two Romas that have a tomato on them, but it seems like the flowers on the Beefsteak plants are not developing and are falling off. Is this a pollination problem? What should I do?

Heres the solution to your problem. Frost damage will drop the blossoms. I doubt that is the case. Heat won't do it, really. It's calcium deficiency.
Here is your solution:
Mix 2 Tablespoons of EPSOM SALT with 1 GALLON OF WATER.
Shake it up very well, and water your plants being affected. Not too much. Water with plain water afterward to get it mixed well into the soil. Do this once every month.

Add crushed egg shell. Everytime I plant my tomatoes I put a handful of crushed eggshell under the root system.

3. Add oyster shells.

3. Make sure they aren't too watered. Water them once every 3 - 5 days (depending on the heat) extremely thorough. I do this every year and end up with a surplus of tomatoes, plants, and peppers! People generally come to me with simple help and solutions like this.

Heres the solution to your problem. Frost damage will drop the blossoms. I doubt that is the case. Heat won't do it, really. It's calcium deficiency.
Here is your solution:
Mix 2 Tablespoons of EPSOM SALT with 1 GALLON OF WATER.
Shake it up very well, and water your plants being affected. Not too much. Water with plain water afterward to get it mixed well into the soil. Do this once every month.

Add crushed egg shell. Everytime I plant my tomatoes I put a handful of crushed eggshell under the root system.

3. Add oyster shells.

3. Make sure they aren't too watered. Water them once every 3 - 5 days (depending on the heat) extremely thorough. I do this every year and end up with a surplus of tomatoes, plants, and peppers! People generally come to me with simple help and solutions like this.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom