tomatoes

snipercp

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
Nottingham
i have read on the internet some weeks ago that tomatoes are poisonous to chickens and that they either make them seriously ill or they die but then someone on here says that her chicken loves tomatoes now im confused
hu.gif
does anybody know if they are? i am aware that not everything you read on the internet is true but the site looked genuine.

thanks connor

The tomato is from the "Nightshade" family of plant and nightshade is poisonous. The fruit of the plant Tomato is not. I had to fence in my garden cuz they were even jumping to get the tomatoes up high. They avoided the plant itself however and while they did take a nip or two they stopped. The plant must not taste very good. In fact I toss my slugged or mushy tomatoes to the girls and they seem to be fine.

I wish you a happy new year,

Rancher

Last edited:
Tomato plants and green tomatoes are dangerous but I've never seen my chickens want to eat anything but my perfectly ripe ones. Then, they jump over the fence and peck one hole in every beefsteak so that they'll rot before I can get them inside.
One of they're favorite dinners is canning day when I can tomatoes. They get a bucketful of tomato ends and seeds. Never seems to bother them at all.
All summer I feed them tomatoes. In fact, next summer I'm planting a currant tomato just for them.

I agree... tomato plant bad.. poisonous. Tomatoes, good.. the chickens love tomatoes and grapes (from the vine, not from the store)... very much.. also ate all my peaches off my dwarf tree before I got any.. and many of my pomegrantes and apples as well.

I grow it, they eat it.. I used to make jam.. now that I have chickens I have to buy extra fruit with which to make jam or salsa!

Quote:
I find your list of fruit trees growing in your yard to be very annoying as I look outside and see snow falling and temp below freezing. LOL! I am very jealous of those chickens. I want to live in your back yard.

I feed my chickens tomatoes all of the time and they just love them! In fact, I take cherry tomatoes and roll them across the lawn just to watch them chase it! Great sport along with 'whose got the noodle'. Anyway, good luck with finding some real facts. But chickens are omnivores and eat everything...
big_smile.png

Just don't feed them the leaves and stems. the ripe tomatoes are great for them. My chickens get all the ones that split when it rains, and any fruit that is invaded by bugs or worms....so long as they are not rotten. I once found a tomato in my garden that had a hole in it and the inside was FULL of ants. I threw it to the hens and they went berserk! Better than cream filling!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom