Tomorrow I will be "butchering virgin" no longer

GJ_Kate

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Grand Junction
We have been doing a test run to try this all out. We started with 6 regular Cornish Cross and 6 intermediate growth Cornish Cross. We built a 10x10 ft wire chicken tractor so it wasn't as gross as it could have been. However this past week, they have gotten stinkier and stinkier! I swear, I didn't know that chickens could FART!
We borrowed a plucker and killing cones. This morning I went over to a friends house that does this as a business and she showed me exactly how to butcher. My hubby knows how, but he'll be scalding and plucking, so I guess this is up to me.
I've never done anything like this, so send me "non-gross out vibes"!!! LOL

I wish you all the luck, I think in the end you will have found it rewarding and not nearly as hard or scary as the non meaty folks would have you believe. Don't forget to tell us how it went, after 3 or 4 you'll be a pro and get faster and better with the knife, along with a good felling and sense of accomplishment.

GOOD LUCK unless you have already done it! I butchered my third one yesterday....it gets soooo much easier each time you do it! It's such a great feeling...the killing part is still a little hard for me but I know it's a for a good cause and done in a humane way. Please let us know how it goes!!

Goodluck!
You will feel awesome when you look at your finished products and realize you did something that most people are incapable of even thinking of doing.
Just uh don't freak out and start crying if one of your "kills" doesn't go so smoothly in the beginning...Because from experience crying next to a chicken who you just dispatched and is kicking around in the cone isn't the most dignified thing in the world:oops:

It's ok if the first couple don't go that smoothly! Mine didn't. you will get much much better at it quickly... The difference between my first and 5th was like night and day.

Quote:
Very good point's indeed................... I wish more folks could read it and understand how important this one thing is to our food chain.

Back
Top Bottom