Tomorrow is day18! Miracle eggs so far...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Well, after all the drama and mess of the first week after I set my eggs I have 39 eggs that have made it this far! I was so amazed at day 14 to see so many 'ok'. I had temps fluctuating from 100 down to 86!!!! I was tearing my hair out believe me! I was so freaked out about the temps that I didn't even think about the humidity, fortunately it is pretty humid here is SC. While my temps are pretty stable now they were low and unstable for a week. But tomorrow is day 18 and I am SO hoping that we are going to get a good hatch. You can be saying lots of prayers for these little fuzz butts and for my nerves! It was so much easier when my little hen did the job for me - but she is picky about when she'll go broody and certainly will not do it just for me!! [​IMG] I am going to assume that I may have a delayed hatch since everything was so up and down for the first while. I have a friend on stand by for hatching day (she homeschools and wants her kids in on the fun) and I guess we'll see what happens. I had 50 eggs in the bator to start off with ( 9 next to the turner!)... at day 7 I pulled 3 - 1 infertile, 1 bloodring and 1 that I messed up and it was a viable embryo. I learned my lesson on that one!!! Then next candling I pulled out 8 (much easier to see at that stage especially with the welsummer eggs!) I had 1 died, 2 bloodrings and the rest were infertile! So, really I have had amazingly good results despite crazy temps. Since I replaced the part the temps have been lovely and stable, what a relief! So please hang in there with me guys, this has been a real nail biter and I am bracing myself for the final days here! [​IMG]

2. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I feel ya. I am approaching day 18 on Saturday and I am nervous as heck. I will be checking in though so be sure to let us know how they turn out!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sending you good hatching vibes!

4. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks! Hope yours works out well for you too!!! Keep us posted on yours!

5. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Good luck. I hope that all goes well for you.

I am doing the same as you. Today is day 25 for my duck eggs. After I turn one more time, it is the sit and wait game. I hate that game. Too nerve racking. lol

Dorothy

6. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Hope everything goes well... Hay what do you think about putting a piece of cheese cloth on eggs that your unsure about just in case they explode? I'm horrible at guessing if a egg is ok or not so I got the idea to put a piece of cheese cloth on the eggs I'm not sure of and leaving them in the bator. Hopefuly the cloth would cetch any yukies if one does explode... Any thoughts? Thanks, Kristina:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by