Toms Drumming please explain ?.

Feank, How much did the turkey weigh and where are the pictures?
pop.gif

Well I don't have any scales so by guessing after processing I would say 15 plus pounds and pictures well lutz say I was just glad to have it done and cleaned up before the woman folk got home.
I don't have a cone to do the deed in so I just hung the Tom from a tree limb by its feet and cut the juggler
same with the Roosters.
The old fashion way on the farm with the Chickens was to use an hatchet I understand that the flopping around can damage the bird so until I can find a old traffic cone a large one to do the deed in this will have to work.The School Teacher came by Monday morning and picked it up and paid for it she and her son wanted to see the live ones and were amazed how pretty they were and Gobbled for them the hole time they were here video was taken by the son to show the rest of the family.
I plan on dispatching a Tom for Christmas for our family I will try to think about taking pictures.

Frank, I have a large traffic cone, don't know that its the biggest size they make, but it is about hip high... my toms won't fit in it. Heritage turkeys, not broad breasted. I hang them by their feet from a rope and it gets the job done. Just lettig you know before you go out of your way to buy one.

Frank, I have a large traffic cone, don't know that its the biggest size they make, but it is about hip high... my toms won't fit in it. Heritage turkeys, not broad breasted. I hang them by their feet from a rope and it gets the job done. Just lettig you know before you go out of your way to buy one.

Well my Turkeys are not double breasted so something like you described would work.
I will not buy one just keep my eye open for one that's a toss out or discarded.
Plus I would cut the smaller or tapperd end to allow the head to drop threw.

My Tom, whose name is Chuck has been drumming for a month now. Don't have to put kids or barking dogs anywhere to hear it. It's quite loud. I wondered why he was doing that. Chuck drums either before or after he gobbles. He's always strutting these days. I'd like to know why his head turns blue. He's a cross between a Bronze and a Royal Palm. Very beautiful.

I only just realized recently that the thrmmmming sound was coming from my turkeys- and not a neighbor running machinery- sawmill perhaps?- Yes, these are my first turkeys ever. Now that I know where the sound is coming from- it seems so obvious, but I spent most of the winter thinking that I had a very busy neighbor.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom