Tongue and Groove Oak Flooring for Leahy Incubator rebuild?

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I have what appears to be a very neglected poorly patched and rebuilt Leahy Incubator. I would like to Completely rebuild it with "new" wood and upgrade to a Digital Thermostat. I have some old Oak tongue and groove flooring in my shop that I could use to replicate the look of the sides of the old redwood incubator. I cant find Nice Redwood for anything but a small fortune around here so i'm looking to rebuild with Reclaimed wood such as old oak flooring and maybe walnut , heart pine, and or poplar, since all of these woods are Vintage and local to the south. Does anyone see any problems with this idea? I will be staining and or sealing the entire thing once its built to help with humidity resistance. Anyone have any pictures of Cabinet incubators they have rebuilt or refinished?

I would use cyspress (sp) it is native to the south east and has high rot resistance. If you would like i can try to find some redwood and get you a price on running into tounge and groove, i deal with most all the whole sale lumber suppliers on the eastern seaboard and have equip to run touge and groove in small or large qtys, and am always willing to help some one out if i can. Im in centrail nc (burlington/graham) area, if interested give me a call, i,m better on the phone than on the computer. Greg Stout #336-290-3089

x2 on Greg's idea! He's right about the properties of cypress. In my experience, the only type of oak that performs well in moist/humid environments (sealed and finished or not) is Northern Red Oak - and even that not so well. I'd take him up on his offer (if I was on the east coast) but I'm in the Pac. NW.

Lightfoote

After researching the R-Values of various types of wood I definitely think I will be using Cypress or Redwood to build my incubator. I am currently working on the final design and trying to find a digital thermostat that works for my needs.

Greg- thanks for your offer to help me locate some decent Redwood on our side of the country. I will contact you as soon as I know how much wood i will need

I would NOT use a digital thermostat. I would stick with the wafer and switch thermostat. I have had a lot of troubles with the digitals. I have just restored 1 Brower 600 egg redwood incubator, and am working on my second one. I am in South Central VA if you would like to see how they are originally made. I have also found and printed an operators manual online for the Leahy. Just email me and I will try to find the website for it. [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom