Too cold for 10 week old chicks?

Thanks everyone! I'll make sure that there is sufficient ventilation, thanks for the tip about dripping windows. The pullets (!) told me that they are, in fact, big girls and to stop treating them like babies. Pretty soon they'll be slamming doors and scowling at me :)

Liz
LOL YEA. Just like teenagers.
You can do like my wife... I swear to god, im not making this up..
She will scold the chickens like people. The other day she picked up 2 of our chickens that were fighting. One under each arm, and she lectured them. I just smile and shake my head.

Well, I'm in Georgia, so it doesn't get nearly as cold here, but if it gives you some peace of mind, I have a seven week old chick living outside that absolutely refuses to get under any shelter at night. Lately it's been dropping down to the low 30s at night, and so far the chick seems fine.

Ventilate! Ventilate! Ventilate! If temp is below 0*F, you might need to close it up at night. At such foolish temps, I do close my windows at night, but there are still the 2 gable and 2 soffit vents open 24/7. If i've closed windows at night during single digits and below, I open things right back up again in the morning after the sun has crawled up high enough to warm things a bit. I keep a hygrometer and thermometer in the coop. The hygrometer helps me to monitor humidity levels and compare them to outside levels. I also use my nose! The least hint of ammonia smell tells me that immediate action is needed to tend DL and air quality.

Here in Colorado sometimes chickens feet do freeze. Chickens can lose toes to frostbite.
What kind of perches are you using? Can they hunker down over their toes to keep them warm? I use smoothed 2x4s with the wide sides up so that the chickens can warm their toes.
How is the ventilation in your coop? Ventilation in a winter coop is extremely important. Chickens need to be protected from drafts, but moisture buildup in the coop leads to frostbite. For that reason I don't keep water inside the coop.
Are your chickens cold hardy breeds? Most breeds are fine, but some kinds of chickens are more susceptible to cold.
I read a published study about perches and it recommends rounded edges and the skinny side up for chickens feet that way the toes can wrap over the edges and it relieves pressure of a flat foot and allows them better balancing to grip their perch. And their bodies still drape over their feet :)

Also, what breed are they? Breeds like Rhode Island and New Hampshire Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons were developed in places with pretty miserable winters anyway. You might need a little more protection from cold if you have lighter weight Mediterranean types such as Leghorns, but even they should do fine as long as they have the option of getting out of the elements.

Hi Liz, I'm also with Sunlight on this one. He gave you some good advice & great facts! (Along with everyone else ;)) I live in Ohio, at night it gets into the 20's with wind chill factors in the teens! Yesterday, the high for the day was 29°F! My 4 month old silkies are not only doing great with the cold, they seem to be thriving and really enjoying themselves! I see no difference in their behavior/character as I did when it was warmer in the 70's. Like a few other ppl said, chickens are built to endure and withstand the cold and the heat. (Most breeds anyways, there are a few that are not.) We have to remember that chickens are not humans!!! Although we love them, spoil them and some even treat them as pets of fur babies, they do not feel what we feel. So, sometimes we need to put our feelings aside and be realistic about what our chickens need to be safe, healthy, happy birds! Sorry for rambling lol Best of luck to you and your flock of teenagers!

People also get nervous about heat. So they put fans on their chickens. This is actually a bad idea.
When air blows on our skin, we get cooler because of 2 main reasons.
1. We sweat, and the evaporating sweat cools us.
2. The air evaporates moisture in our skin.

A chicken has neither one of these things.
So if the air that you are blowing on that chicken is HOTTER then the chickens body temp, then you are actually heating up the chicken. (Heat is absorbed, there is no evaporation).

The only thing that isn't insulated is their feet. So you are mainly blowing air on feathers that are DESIGNED to block air off their skin.
To keep them cool, give them water, shade, and ventilation. They are fine.

Chickens are WAAAAY tougher then we give them credit for. They are really amazing animals.
My chicks are 9 weeks in Virginia tonight will be 50. Will they be ok, I have to consider they live in a coop with 6 full grown chickens.. two babies are silkies and 3 Easter eggers.

Back
Top Bottom