Too cold out in Utah today for littles? thoughts

lildivasmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Tooele, UT
Hey everyone...our temps dropped over 30 since yesterday. It was almost 80 at 4pm.yesterday and 8am today its 41...
I have been letting my 8/7/6 week old chicks out during the day the last couple weeks while its been really nice.
But...do you think they'll be ok out side today? It may get up to 53. They are going crazy stuck.in their brooder right now.
The 8 wks are Red Star, 7 wks Black Stars & EEs, & the 6 wks Buff Orps.
Thoughts....should I try?

I'm in Utah as well. I have had mine outside all together for a couple of weeks and they are 7-8 weeks old. I keep a heat lamp on them at night and it get turned off during the day.

Well, the fact that they are going in/out is what would concern me about the temp difference. Our birds are outside 24/7 and have been since they were 5 weeks old, so they are weathering that sort of fluctuation with every day/night cycle (in the last two weeks they've been out we've seen 80+ and 28 degrees), but they are conditioned to it rather than being conditioned to being inside where the ambient temp is nice and toasty and then going out to where it is nice and warm. At the age of your chicks they are likely all fully feathered, so I would not be too concerned about 53, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
My 5 week old chicks are just locked up in the coop today. The coop is pretty air resistant but I opened the vent so they could get fresh air. I would t put them out till later in the afternoon, but they will probably huddle up for warmth an be just fine either way

Well, the fact that they are going in/out is what would concern me about the temp difference.  Our birds are outside 24/7 and have been since they were 5 weeks old, so they are weathering that sort of fluctuation with every day/night cycle (in the last two weeks they've been out we've seen 80+ and 28 degrees), but they are conditioned to it rather than being conditioned to being inside where the ambient temp is nice and toasty and then going out to where it is nice and warm.  At the age of your chicks they are likely all fully feathered, so I would not be too concerned about 53, but it's up to you.

I hate bringing them in & out but I dont trust my 4 older ladies yet to put them out in the chicken run/coop. Theses littles go in the goat yard during the day & the garage with a heat lamp at night...maybe its time for some tough mommy love lol. Babies will be going out... Ill jst watch chicken tv all day lol

I'm in Utah as well. I have had mine outside all together for a couple of weeks and they are 7-8 weeks old. I keep a heat lamp on them at night and it get turned off during the day.

That is one of the things keeping me from leaving them out is power/heat is not an option.for the coop right now. My 4 laying hens Im fine with them down in the coop...jst apprehensive to put babies out. Lol

That is one of the things keeping me from leaving them out is power/heat is not an option.for the coop right now. My 4 laying hens Im fine with them down in the coop...jst apprehensive to put babies out. Lol
As old as they are, they should be fully feathered and should be fine. I would have them out all day regardless of weather for a several days and then back in the house just at night if your worried about them. But they should be fine, as long as the a nice dry coop to go into away from wind and cold they will be totally fine.

Several days ago I had already removed the light from my month old chicks that were being brooded in a wire cage outside. The temps had been in the 70's but all of a suddden it dropped to 38* one night. They were fine, albeit huddled tightly in the corner.
Yours should be fine.

Ok update....the baby chicks are in the actual coop with access to the outdoor run and & I put their brooder box in the coop also because it has a "tunnel" that they can fit thru but not the hens so they have somewhere to hide if needed. My hens are free range and they are able to get in & out for that but not my littles. Whew! Fingers crossed!

One of my silver-laced Hennrietta went in to lay while they are in there. She didnt seem thrilled but went about her business. Im more worried about my queen.of the coop black Aussie Matilda. Ill just check back way too often and see how things are going lol.

And yes I know I need nest boxes lol, they are on the way. The laying hens were a suprise, but very welcome gift lol

Back
Top Bottom