Too cold to ship?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L&Schickens, Dec 14, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Is it too cold to ship eggs accross the country right now? Is there a chance they would freeze along the way?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i hope it is not just ordered some tonight [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope not.

I just ordered eggs from Houston. I'm in Phoenix. I doubt that it will be cold enough to harm the eggs in either place... unless they are carried in the belly of a plane that is not insulated?

I'm just praying that the PO gives them tender loving care!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I would say yes if from or going to the Northern States. Here we are in the teens. The USPS may leave them set on your door steps.
    Or on a dock, not good if below 32 degree.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have had good luck shipping and receiving eggs in the winter. You just need to check the temperatures in the location your eggs are coming from. I always pick my shipped eggs up at the post office first thing in the morning when the truck arrives to prevent them being left anywhere that may be to hot or to cold. As how they are wrapped. I use bubble wrap and double box with several layers of bubble wrap around the box or carton and lots of packing material. They are very well insulated but would not do well for long periods in sub freezing temperatures.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Guess it all depends on how cold it is in the areas the eggs travel thought. Its pretty cold where I am. I know they would frezze up here !! Where are they going to and from ?

7. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    There's a chance the cold weather could affect the hatch, especially if the mailperson leaves the eggs on a porch or doorstep in freezing weather. But, I have to say, I've never had winter-shipped eggs completely freeze. I've always gotten at least some of them to hatch. But that may be because I have mostly had good USPS workers who would either call me to pick up the eggs at the PO or leave them with a neighbor when the temperature was below freezing. It probably would help if the phone number was on the box so that they can call you to come and pick the up the package.

8. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you. I have some coming in a week or two and paid a pretty penny for them. I would hate for them to arrive frozen. [​IMG]

9. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I bought some beautiful Showgirl eggs from Angie on BYC. It was 20 degrees here the day they arrived. The postman put them on my porch and they were there an hour or so before I got home from work. She sent me a dozen and all but four are developing! [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on where they travel. Western WA is 28 right now, and night temps will be in the teens at home. Same story here in Western Oregon, just a tad colder actually. As long as they aren't sitting in a truck in the cold, they would be fine, but get stuck in the Midwest with -25 weather for a night, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by