Too cold to ship?

i hope it is not just ordered some tonight
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I hope not.

I just ordered eggs from Houston. I'm in Phoenix. I doubt that it will be cold enough to harm the eggs in either place... unless they are carried in the belly of a plane that is not insulated?

I'm just praying that the PO gives them tender loving care!

I would say yes if from or going to the Northern States. Here we are in the teens. The USPS may leave them set on your door steps.
Or on a dock, not good if below 32 degree.

I have had good luck shipping and receiving eggs in the winter. You just need to check the temperatures in the location your eggs are coming from. I always pick my shipped eggs up at the post office first thing in the morning when the truck arrives to prevent them being left anywhere that may be to hot or to cold. As how they are wrapped. I use bubble wrap and double box with several layers of bubble wrap around the box or carton and lots of packing material. They are very well insulated but would not do well for long periods in sub freezing temperatures.

Guess it all depends on how cold it is in the areas the eggs travel thought. Its pretty cold where I am. I know they would frezze up here !! Where are they going to and from ?

There's a chance the cold weather could affect the hatch, especially if the mailperson leaves the eggs on a porch or doorstep in freezing weather. But, I have to say, I've never had winter-shipped eggs completely freeze. I've always gotten at least some of them to hatch. But that may be because I have mostly had good USPS workers who would either call me to pick up the eggs at the PO or leave them with a neighbor when the temperature was below freezing. It probably would help if the phone number was on the box so that they can call you to come and pick the up the package.

I bought some beautiful Showgirl eggs from Angie on BYC. It was 20 degrees here the day they arrived. The postman put them on my porch and they were there an hour or so before I got home from work. She sent me a dozen and all but four are developing!
wink.png

Depends on where they travel. Western WA is 28 right now, and night temps will be in the teens at home. Same story here in Western Oregon, just a tad colder actually. As long as they aren't sitting in a truck in the cold, they would be fine, but get stuck in the Midwest with -25 weather for a night, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom