Too cold?

I live in Utah as well, still don't have our coop done yet, they are 4 weeks old now, but we will be moving them outside into a coop next weekend (maybe this week, if we can!). I have been taking them outside for the last few days, and they love it! I think they will be just fine!
big_smile.png

The chicks I lost were salmon faverolle. They where only in my warm barn when some of them died. I hurried and brought the rest back inside. I do think it depend on the breed. What breed are your chicks? The chicks that I have to keep inside for 20 weeks are Madagascar Games and a few other rare breeds. Your common breeds do not need the care that these need to live.

I agree that it's the sudden change that can get them. My broody raised chicks are outdoors at 3 or 4 days in winter, 40's and 50' mostly -- they sleep warm under mama but tend to stay out all day and ignore her offers to warm them during the day.

You might feel or be safer to provide some warmth at night, but I suspect they will do fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom