Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I'm using the Janoel 12 egg incubater I'm on day 16 when I leave it overnight at 8 pm it will be at 50 and go down to 11 no matter what humidity I leave it at before I go to sleep
Sounds more like a bad reading on the incubator itself. Do you have another calibrated hygrometer inside the incubator to make sure it's correct?

Hey so I'm getting close to hatch and I'm having trouble keeping humidity stable
I do two coffee cups with sponges stuck almost all the way out of them filled with water and I add aquarium tubing from the outside of the incubator to into each cup. That way I can fill each one without opening the hatcher. Usually it stays stable for 12 hours around 70 then drops back down and needs water again.

Sounds more like a bad reading on the incubator itself. Do you have another calibrated hygrometer inside the incubator to make sure it's correct?

Well my incubater does not have a built in hydrometer so I bought one off Amazon I'm not sure its correct but the air cells on the eggs are where they should be

Well my incubater does not have a built in hydrometer so I bought one off Amazon I'm not sure its correct but the air cells on the eggs are where they should be

One thing to consider is that the humidity is all about the surface area of the water, not quantity. So if you're getting the humidity right where you want it by just adding a small amount of water that is spread out then it's going to evaporate quickly. Doing something like @LilyD is suggesting with a container, you can control how much surface area is evaporating but have a large reserve of water to last longer...I hope that makes sense.

One thing to consider is that the humidity is all about the surface area of the water, not quantity. So if you're getting the humidity right where you want it by just adding a small amount of water that is spread out then it's going to evaporate quickly. Doing something like @LilyD is suggesting with a container, you can control how much surface area is evaporating but have a large reserve of water to last longer...I hope that makes sense.

I tried the sponge on the floor method and switched to coffee mugs instead since they are the right height. The sponges I bought are reusable ones and you can throw them in the dishwasher to disinfect between batches in the hatcher. With two 8 oz mugs and the sponges almost all the way out of the cups it lasts about 12 hours the aquarium tubing goes out the corner of the incubator so it can easily be refilled without opening. Not sure how well the pictures came out of the inside but tried to include pictures of what it looks like. with this I get 65-75 for humidity for 12 hours then the sponges start drying out so I refill using the black tubes you see outside the incubator.

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_102801319[1].jpg
    IMG_20200220_102801319[1].jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200220_102844361[1].jpg
    IMG_20200220_102844361[1].jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 5
Congrats on all the new hatches! My last little nugget went into the brooder. It’s astonishing how much they grow in just a week !! It finished its hatch yesterday was a good distraction. My aunt passed away yesterday after a tough battle with cancer.

I also have a little turd that started crowing at 1 week old! Igot a picture and a band on it. Luckily someone is buying some chicks tomorrow, and said they’d take him !
27E63553-9451-406C-81F6-26F99D7FC419.jpeg

Attachments

• 711794AB-10B5-44F5-AEC1-5D083A046A2A.jpeg
    711794AB-10B5-44F5-AEC1-5D083A046A2A.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 5
Congrats on all the new hatches! My last little nugget went into the brooder. It’s astonishing how much they grow in just a week !! It finished its hatch yesterday was a good distraction. My aunt passed away yesterday after a tough battle with cancer.

I also have a little turd that started crowing at 1 week old! Igot a picture and a band on it. Luckily someone is buying some chicks tomorrow, and said they’d take him !View attachment 2031132

I'm so so sorry for your loss. :hugs
Your peeps are absolutely adorable! Hatching helps me to get through difficult times as well.

Salmon Faverolles had their photo shoot first since I'm taking a couple of them to their new home in less than an hour. It's impossible to get 10 chicks to hold still in a photo! :lau
I made a mistake earlier, the Silkies were 100% fertility, 90% hatch rate. I had 2 infertile eggs (so 83% fertility) with the Salmon Faverolles and 100% hatch rate of fertilized eggs. Anyway, here's the first batch of cuties! Now to get the Silkies lined up.

DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

When I get home going to try to find something skinny that will hold a good amount of water

Back
Top Bottom