Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
I’m planning my very first hatch!!!! I’m ordering a Nurture Right 360 today and some hatching eggs off of eBay. I probably won’t get them until the 10th or 11th of this month. I’m ordering from a couple different sellers which is probably a bad idea but they both agreed to ship on the same date so I’m crossing my fingers. I imagine I’ll set the eggs on the 13th or so. They will be early Feb. babies!

What are you hatching next month?

Yay! I’m over here researching all about how I have to treat shipped eggs more carefully and differently than eggs that aren’t shipped.
Personally, I wouldn't treat shipped eggs much differently than other eggs (contrary to the opinion of most). Just let them settle fat end up for 10 hours. Leaving them like that much longer will create other problems. Turning is critical for development.
Starting incubation and turning of eggs more than a few days old is essential, IMO.
I think any benefit gained from letting the eggs settle is offset by the damage from not turning or starting incubation as soon as possible. They are perishable after all.

You will find an overwhelming mountain of information in the following thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't treat shipped eggs much differently than other eggs (contrary to the opinion of most). Just let them settle fat end up for 10 hours. Leaving them like that much longer will create other problems. Turning is critical for development.
Starting incubation and turning of eggs more than a few days old is essential, IMO.

You will find an overwhelming mountain of information in the following thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/

Haha yep that’s the thread I’m working through right now.
That would be really nice to be able to lay them down on their side and turn as usual with the auto turner because I will absolutely forget if I have to do manually.

I just noticed you may be hatching at what some would call 'elevation'.
You should probably also read through the following link.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes

Yep. 4,894 ft. Just read the article. So basically keep my humidity a hair higher than someone at sea level is the super simplified gist of it, right? I also need to understand the egg weight loss thing better. I’m not familiar with that (I’m a total newbie).

I also posted in the other thread I ordered 30 eggs all different colors and varieties all large fowl of course I have pink eggs Blue Egg Green Eggs Olive eggs brown eggs tinted eggs I also have a still air incubator without an egg turner I only used once 5 years ago with 24 eggs and had 100% hatch rate I know that's very rare luckily I'm at home for a month due to a procedure I'm getting so I'll have time to fiddle with them and turn them around. The only thing I don't remember is last time I had them shipped I didn't do much I just let them sit for like a day or so until I got to room temperature in a regular egg carton and pointed side down... then laid them down on the screen???? Is there anything different I should be doing oh, I also have a rooster and some Leghorn and some wyandottes I live in Connecticut I wanted to throw a few of those eggs in there too to see what happened should I risk or should I just stick with the ones that are mailed?,, any input will help thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom