Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I have big sacks of woodshavings as I use them for the rabbit and guinea pigs. Id read somewhere that quail chicks will eat the shavings and get bunged up. I'll move them over to shavings tomorrow then.

As long as you're not using cedar shavings for your rabbit and guinea pigs, you don't want to use cedar with quail or chicks. I did feel more comfortable using pine pellets personally because even when they break apart it's compressed pine dust so it doesn't get compacted. I use the pine pellets with my chicken chicks from day one.

I would think that button quail wouldn't even be able to consume pine shavings because they are too large. I could see a quail or a chick possibly trying to consume them, but I've never seen it.

I think sometimes people get the extremely small shavings, that's probably where the problem begins. The shavings that I get are pretty large and I think a chick would give up trying to eat it.

I would think that button quail wouldn't even be able to consume pine shavings because they are too large. I could see a quail or a chick possibly trying to consume them, but I've never seen it.

I think sometimes people get the extremely small shavings, that's probably where the problem begins. The shavings that I get are pretty large and I think a chick would give up trying to eat it.

I agree, even in my big coop I buy the large shavings, the fine shavings are soooo dusty and I would think they would be more likely to try to consume them. It does depend on the species I think though. Chicks don't seem to be problematic. The worst I have heard about is guineas, which will apparently eat just about any substrate you give them, even the wee pads once they start tearing them up. I haven't raised any guineas yet but I still lean toward the pine pellets being the safer bet for questionable critters, since it breaks down so small they could pass through the digestive tract safely.

I agree, even in my big coop I buy the large shavings, the fine shavings are soooo dusty and I would think they would be more likely to try to consume them. It does depend on the species I think though. Chicks don't seem to be problematic. The worst I have heard about is guineas, which will apparently eat just about any substrate you give them, even the wee pads once they start tearing them up. I haven't raised any guineas yet but I still lean toward the pine pellets being the safer bet for questionable critters, since it breaks down so small they could pass through the digestive tract safely.
I want to do guineas some day, but I have to wait till we move.

I want to do guineas some day, but I have to wait till we move.

Hopefully we'll still be doing hatch-a-longs together once the time comes! 😍 They are so goofy looking but last year it was SO educational to watch when someone had the longest epic staggered hatch of guineas I've ever seen! It was really more of a rescue effort from her broody flock of guineas that turned out to not be great mothers.

Think i'll bring some in when i go out to feed the pigs n bun. And just put it over the top of the kitchen roll. The shavings i have is mostly large pieces so i'll make sure i get big bits. My mum uses the same stuff for her chicken's. Think it should be fine. I've seen guinea pigs eating it sometimes and they haven't keeled over.

Hopefully we'll still be doing hatch-a-longs together once the time comes! 😍 They are so goofy looking but last year it was SO educational to watch when someone had the longest epic staggered hatch of guineas I've ever seen! It was really more of a rescue effort from her broody flock of guineas that turned out to not be great mothers.
They're so odd looking. I love the pearl ones! I think it's Lavendar pearl I saw, but not sure. They were gorgeous! But obnoxiously loud 😂

Back
Top Bottom