Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

If you set older eggs they can hatch later but I don't think that's the case with yours since it has been multiple hatches. It really sounds like it's a low temperature thing.

Longest age for eggs was in the first hatch some would have been 7 days. I didn't go longer than that collecting before putting them in. All other ones I added were at most 4 days old when put in. But would being very cold affect how long it takes to hatch? Because some were outside during temps of 15-30 degrees until I could get to them. Anything below 15 usually vertically cracked before I could get to them. I tried to only grab eggs that were warm when I got to them. But who knows if one chicken laid them left them and they got cold and another went and sat on them for a bit.

The baby that pipped through the vein passed. The one on the right was ready and making a ton of noise so I helped it out. Belly is still a bit big but yolk is fully absorbed and it was ready. HUGE chick which is probably why it couldn't turn pip well.

The other chick is looking good but has a bit of veining still going to wait a while and check on it again before bed.

1582339256241.png

I’ve found some good ones in SC & FL!!

Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful breeders local to me. I just never seem to have any luck finding new people through eBay. I always have better luck meeting them through Facebook or through fellow chicken friends. People on eBay don't want to meet you. Lol

Longest age for eggs was in the first hatch some would have been 7 days. I didn't go longer than that collecting before putting them in. All other ones I added were at most 4 days old when put in. But would being very cold affect how long it takes to hatch? Because some were outside during temps of 15-30 degrees until I could get to them. Anything below 15 usually vertically cracked before I could get to them. I tried to only grab eggs that were warm when I got to them. But who knows if one chicken laid them left them and they got cold and another went and sat on them for a bit.

The baby that pipped through the vein passed. The one on the right was ready and making a ton of noise so I helped it out. Belly is still a bit big but yolk is fully absorbed and it was ready. HUGE chick which is probably why it couldn't turn pip well.

The other chick is looking good but has a bit of veining still going to wait a while and check on it again before bed.

View attachment 2032559

7 days wouldn't be considered old, you shouldn't see much difference until you're settling eggs older than 10 days, fertility would start to drop off as well. The extreme cold might make the egg unviable altogether but I wouldn't think it would delay the hatch. I'm thinking of people that incubated refrigerator eggs and they hatched in normal time frames. :confused:

I had such a difficult time finding an accurate digital thermometer that I ended up buying a multipack of the cheapo thermometers and checked them against a little meat thermometer from Walmart that was easy to calibrate. Having extras I always know when one is broken.

7 days wouldn't be considered old, you shouldn't see much difference until you're settling eggs older than 10 days, fertility would start to drop off as well. The extreme cold might make the egg unviable altogether but I wouldn't think it would delay the hatch. I'm thinking of people that incubated refrigerator eggs and they hatched in normal time frames. :confused:

I had such a difficult time finding an accurate digital thermometer that I ended up buying a multipack of the cheapo thermometers and checked them against a little meat thermometer from Walmart that was easy to calibrate. Having extras I always know when one is broken.
My husband just found this one through amazon I am considering it is calibratable even though it's digital and has three sensors plus you can add more if needed.

Ooooh, fancy!
Yeah it says you can calibrate it easily using a thermometer you know has accurate readings or doing the ice water test/salt water humidity test. I bet even though the sensors aren't water proof you can put them in a ziploc baggy and put them in ice water to calibrate the temp which is pretty much what I need it for.

Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful breeders local to me. I just never seem to have any luck finding new people through eBay. I always have better luck meeting them through Facebook or through fellow chicken friends. People on eBay don't want to meet you. Lol

I have not found any breeders local to me who really seem committed to a program. The other thing is that I find I'm less likely to want to have the same chickens as everyone else around me! Of course, it is kind of a bubble where I live, so there's that. We have no end to commercial chicken houses, but not a whole lot of people who are kindred spirits when it comes to hatching and raising birds. Lol I've been on eBay so long that I have just started messaging people, and am often surprised at how open they are to talking about what they have, when they'll list more, and so on.

cross your fingers for me...i just ordered a dozen+ of CCL from eBay. :cool:

Last edited:
I've got three little silkie chicks out so far. Will post pics hopefully tomorrow. :)

My iffy egg baby passed earlier today. Always sad to lose them but I was expecting it as it didn't have proper blood vessel coverage of the egg throughout incubation and the baby always moved a lot less than its siblings. The little one didn't manage to make it into a proper position either, its head was facing away from the aircell.

View attachment 2032559

So sorry about the baby that didn't make it. :hugs

Glad to hear one is out and I hope the other makes it out soon! :fl

Back
Top Bottom