Too early?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alethea, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Our barred rock chicks are just under seventeen weeks old. I understand this breed lays later than some and I guess we are looking at late September. One of them, Flora, has grown wattles and is red in the face. Could she be getting ready? I'd think she's too young.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just like any group of girls entering puberty or maturing, some pullets will be ready to lay sooner than others.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:From what I've read on this forum, BRs are a relatively early layer... [​IMG]

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    Mine started at 21 weeks and she was the first layer of my flock of 4, I also have 2 buff orpingtons ( I got a first egg from one of them today:lol:) and 1 Rhode Island Red. I'ts all very eggciting but your wait will be worth it [​IMG]

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    From what I can tell BR are 20 to 22 weeks. My barred rock laid her first egg today. I have had her for 20 weeks but I don't know how old she was when I got her. She was from the flea market so could have been 1-3 weeks old when I got her.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 3 BR pullets...at 19 weeks now, red faced but not one egg. I got an egg last week, most likely from my RIR, who is 20 - 21 weeks, not one egg since...I have 16 girls...I WANT SOME EGGS!!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cannot but generalize as there is no one, single strain of BR. Lots of genetics in the deep end of the pool.

Look for the typical squatting, red face, etc. It happens when it happens. 19-23 weeks, or a whole month spread differential.

8. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I have 12 BR that are 24 wks old. I had 4 that started laying between wk 17-18 and then the rest started around wk 2O with the last one just now laying. So there is no specific age,each hen matures at its own pace. It does sound like yours are getting close...

9. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Thank you everyone. I hadn't expected it this soon. I go away September 9 and return October 6 and thought the first eggs would come while I'm away. Maybe I'll be surpisurprized. Perhaps when Flora lays, Greta and Ruthie will be so impressed they'll want to lay too. Bok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by