Too high humidity

mshap7

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
So it turns out the hygrometer on my incubator has been really inaccurate. On day 12 of my muscovy eggs and the new hygrometer I got says it’s been 60% humidity in there :( I took out all the water and put a sock with rice and a dry sponge in there. Humidity is slowly going down to the 50’s, going to try to get it to 35%. Have I done irreversible damage? The embryos are still moving around.

Welcome to BYC!

There's a good chance they'll live, but, sadly I can't tell you "yes" or 'no". You'll have to wait a few days, and re-candle for signs of life.

Keep us posted!

I wouldnt recandle as opening the lid often is not good. Also have to keep in mind if incubator is near window outside humidity will interfere with the eggs

I wouldnt recandle as opening the lid often is not good. Also have to keep in mind if incubator is near window outside humidity will interfere with the eggs

I hatch lots of Call's throughout spring-time, in case you're unaware, due to their short bills they often die in the shell as they're unable to properly externally pip. That said, I have to open the incubator every couple of days to check on their progress. I have no problems, actually, the way I see it, is the mother hen gets off the nest very frequently for sometimes an hour, and the babies hatch fine.

Opening the lid is fine for the egg's, as long as you get the humidity up to where it was, and handle the eggs with care.

I kno they get off the nest. But hatching in an incubator is not like the mother hen hatching her own eggs. I hatch about 30,000 eggs a year and never lift the lid. Out of those 30k I hatch about 28k every time

I kno they get off the nest. But hatching in an incubator is not like the mother hen hatching her own eggs. I hatch about 30,000 eggs a year and never lift the lid. Out of those 30k I hatch about 28k every time

That's great, but you've yet to state the consequences of opening the incubator for a minute. It's really important the OP monitor the eggs at this point because if they do live, there is a good chance they'll require assisting of some sort due to the improper humidity levels. You have your ways of doing things, and that's fine, but so do I, and many other hatchers on here.I just question people when they make a strong claim without any proof, or reason.

That's great, but you've yet to state the consequences of opening the incubator for a minute. It's really important the OP monitor the eggs at this point because if they do live, there is a good chance they'll require assisting of some sort due to the improper humidity levels. You have your ways of doing things, and that's fine, but so do I, and many other hatchers on here.I just question people when they make a strong claim without any proof, or reason.
I will definitely be listening to you! I’ve read up about candling often and many recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom