Too hot to ship eggs, but when can I? Before I strangle Jethro.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Aug 7, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our temps. in SW Arkansas are running into the triple digits - 102 to 110 each day, with no end in sight.

My silkie Jethro is broody again. Has been for going on two weeks. I've made arrangements to have some eggs shipped in for her, but don't want them to hard boil on their way here.

At what temps. is it safe to ship eggs?

She's driving me nuts with her daily egg stealing and I'm getting really tired of having to remove her from the nest every day, several times a day. [​IMG]

2. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Good luck............ is all i can say...........

9+ days of over 105 here....................

maybe middle of sept?

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Why not just try to find some new-hatched chicks for her? Of course, I know it's easier said than done, but it's an idea... [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am getting eggs in the mail with cold pack and they seem to be doing great in the bator. I am still shipping despite the heat. THe eggs may be developing on the way to the destination so I have been suggestion to immediately shove those eggs under a broody or in a bator (turning off the turner has a better effect on the eggs as the eggs can settle from the trip but the embryos won't suffer). Just a suggestion if you are planning to ship or receive eggs.

5. Hi! I've been shipping a few boxes right through our 100+ degree heat wave. So far, most everybody has gotten good results.
    I'm lucky that I'm home all day and can grab eggs practically as soon as they are laid and get them inside where it is cool. I mark egg boxes FRAGILE / PERISHABLE / EGGS FOR HATCHING ENCLOSED.
    And bubblewrap is good for protecting eggs from temp swings (wrapping & packing eggs for shipping ).
    If your shipper can do those things, the eggs stand a better chance of arriving in 'hatchable condition'.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do yourself a favor- ship Jethro to the eggs! [​IMG]

If the shipper will ship Overnight Express and put in some frozen packs, they might have a chance - if the PO doesn't lose them.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've already suggested that, but I have to take a few of her broody hens in exchange. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by