Too hot?

I agree with the others. You have a dangerous situation there. Being too hot is just as dangerous to them as being too cold, maybe even more so. What I suggest you immediately do has already been suggested, raise the lamp or move it so a lot less of the heat is going into the brooder. They need a chance to cool down.

I don’t care if you have 4 chicks or 40. To me, a perfect brooder is big enough and set up so one area is warm enough or even a little too warm. That way the chicks have somewhere to go if they need to warm up. But they also need an area that is too cool, maybe verging on cold. That way they can self-regulate and you don’t have to worry about what temperature it is in there at all. I’m guessing that is in your house so it’s not going to be all that cold anywhere in there.

I think the chicks are healthier and feather out faster if they get to play in varying temperature conditions. They are not as likely to get pasty butt or get bored. You’re less likely to have behavioral problems which seem to increase if they are too warm. They will regulate their food and water intake better so they are eating and drinking a healthy amount.

People tend to make this harder than it has to be by worrying about controlling things too tightly. Just give them some flexibility and you can relax. They’ll do the work for you.

I think you are to be congratulated. You noticed a problem and came on here to get help. Well done.

x2
thumbsup.gif

Turn the heat lamp off until you make the changes the others have said. It is way too hot in there. A little cooling will do them good. An hour without heat in the house will not hurt them. If you leave the heat on they may die from over heating.

I agree too hot and getting a bigger box would be good. Chicks huddle together when they are too hot or too cold trying to find that "right" spot. With a box (i have a bit different set up) whichever side you put the light on you want to put the food and water on the other side. Food and water not right next to each other of course. Just my 2 cents lol.

The water is a creating shade and heat block .. Get a cheap fish tank thermometer . And just switch out bulb .. Untill you get bigger brooder made .. Wish you the best of luck :)

Thanks guys! Late last night I expanded the brooder. They have lots of room now and the food and water is more spread out. I've already noticed it's much easier to keep clean. AND most importantly the chicks are active and running around the whole area. I saw them sleeping separately near the light but not directly under it this morning.

Thanks so very much guys!!!!!!

Thanks guys! Late last night I expanded the brooder. They have lots of room now and the food and water is more spread out. I've already noticed it's much easier to keep clean. AND most importantly the chicks are active and running around the whole area. I saw them sleeping separately near the light but not directly under it this morning.

Thanks so very much guys!!!!!!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
awesome !! Looks nice for them . Enjoy ..

Much better--good for you! I hope we didn't come across too harsh, but I honestly see more folks lose birds on here due to over heating than being too cold, and it's heartbreaking cause folks always think they're doing the right thing. Your chicks will be much happier and active.

animalspooker--how much you interact with them is completely a personal thing. My birds aren't pets, so I don't really handle my chicks at all. Just to pick them up to transfer to new living quarters, occasionally to just hold one but not as a regular thing. My birds are not scared of me, they readily gather at my feet in the run, but they're not easy to catch. If I need to catch them for some reason I do that at night.

I don't think chicks should be messed with much the first week or so, especially by kids, even if supervised. After that, just be gentle and I don't see why you couldn't hold them as much as you want.

You were not too harsh at all! I would hate to think I could have accidentally killed my babies. So your help is much appreciated!

I am an avid dog person and you should hear me when I get the chance to lecture or share advice. I can go on forever! Lol

This is my first time with any kind of bird and I know they in general are not as hardy as most other livestock/pets. Except maybe rabbits. ;) So I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as we progress.

What kind of chickens does everyone have?

Animalspooker - Do you have your first chicks too?

Back
Top Bottom