Too late to add water?

boymeetschicken

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2016
I'm on day 19/20 (a little foggy as to the day as I set them late in the evening) with a Brinsea Mini Advance. I was just going to open and top off the water reservoir one last time when I noticed one of the eggs had pipped! I'm not going to open now but I see the water level has dropped quite a bit and I had been planning to replenish and just let it sit till day 21.

Anyway, any advice for what to do if eggs have pipped and the water has run out? Just wait it out and hope for the best? Or open super fast and refill? Shove a wet paper towel on it?

(The Brinsea is made so you have to open it all the way to refill the water so the humidity will drop a lot.)

Definitely do not place a towel on the eggs.

I would add water the reservoir really quickly and put it all back together, for the sake of any future pips. You may lose this one, but if you don't add water, you could lose the rest. 1 vs multiple...
And this one could still live. I've opened incubators when they were pipped and didn't know it and they made it just fine.

Good luck!

Update: One chick hatched, and since it looked like it was a full day or maybe 2 days earlier than everyone else, I went ahead and opened up the incubator and took it out. I also followed the advice of someone on this board (I searched for a thread about humidity) for how to keep the humidity from suddenly dropping when you open the lid. I took the chick out and I immediately added very hot (but not boiling) water into the reservoir. Voila! The temp went right back up to normal and the insides of the incubator clouded over, showing it was nice and moist inside. So I managed to refill the reservoir AND maintain humidity at the same time. Yay!

3 of the eggs still have not pipped. One egg had pipped but it does not seem to have been affected by the humidity change because it's still pipping along.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom