Too late to start some new chicks????

garngang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Central Arkansas
I was wondering if it is too close to cooler weather for me to start some new chicks? I'm in northeast Arkansas and the weather will be getting cooler soon. I don't mind to have them indoors for a couple of weeks but I would really like them to go out after 2-3. Will that be too soon??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My hen hatches out chicks all year long.....in the dead of winter she will raise her babies just fine.

If you have a light source or something that they can huddle up to when they are cold, then I say they will be just fine.

Never ask a bunch of chicken addicts if its too late to start chicks
lau.gif

... I have some in the bator now...
cool.png

The key is if you'll have some heat set up for them in a closed brooder space. They need more than a couple of weeks to get feathered out, when it's safe to put them outside. I have some in the bator myself due Saturday and another batch due 9/20. That's gonna be it for me til spring. I'm keeping these in my sunroom until they're ready to go to the coop.

I ordered some EE's that should be delivered 9/2.......and I really really really want a few more silkies but I figured I probably shouldn't
hide.gif

I think I might want some more EE's too
smack.gif

I always do late season and winter hatching for myself so I have fresh young layers by spring.

I wanted to ask the same question...glad you did and that you received so many positive replies. I just signed up on this forum...
I live in the four corner's area of New Mexico...high desert and dry there...cool nights...
Will have to find the best place to get my chickens...was told it was in the town of Farmington, New Mexico...
Hoping to find people on this forum that live in my area... Peppermentz

See that is what I was thinking! If I get some now then by spring they will be laying. Good idea I thought!
We just hate having them in the house with our 2 curious cats and the 1 giant of a dog. We can deal with the circus for a few weeks but I really would like them out well before they r fully feathered. What about if I order eggs and let my hens hatch them?? How would that go? My roosters wouldn't kill them would they?

Back
Top Bottom