Too late to start some new chicks????

I have 4 hens setting right now...
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

In Colorado, we don't get our snowy season until early spring. I had ducks in an outside brooder with a heat lamp. They were fine.

I would really rather order chicks anyways. So how soon is too soon to put them out in the house with others if I am going to put them in a brooder? Just as long as I have a heat lamp they'll be fine? Will the others get too hot? And if they are in the seperate pin does that integrate them enough that when I let them out amongst the others they will be accepted? This seems like a lot of questions sorry!! I do appreciate the advice!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
My thoughts exactly!!! It is time for me to start shipping Silkie chicks again! It's been too hot to ship!! I have 3 bators and 4 broodies full.......need a 12 step program!!! LOL
gig.gif

Sheez, I asked the same question a couple days ago and got the same answer...
big_smile.png

Seriously, I'm in Vermont, much colder than anything you get, and I'm hoping to get chicks next week. This wasn't planned. A dog attack last week killed 1 chicken and took my flock down to 2. I don't want to go into winter with just 2 chickens. I want more to keep them warm, and to make sure that no one ends up all alone (if something happened to one of two chickens - bad news).

We've been close to frost some nights already! Not where I live, but in the mountains. Time to start paying attention to the max-min thermometer.

Edited paragraphing.

Last edited:
Vermontgal it will definately get colder up there than down here! I would never be able to handle that! Haha
I am still just as curious about it all tho.... I guess we could just try it out and see! How quick does it get cold there? It's been in the 50s here at night and I'm wondering if even that is too cold???

I have my bator ready to hatch someout next week. I live in Central Arkanasas and have never had a problem. We also order our fall meaties the last week in August. The key is to provide heat for them with the brooder lamp until they are feathered out. We have a giant brooder box that Dh has set up in an old huge outside storage container someone was going to throw away. I am now a dumpster diver because of my chickens !
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
I have some 2 week olds that need the lamp because of the low in the 50's currently. Generally I turn it off around 1000 am and turn it back on around 6 pm. Good Luck!

edited to add: IT'S NEVER TOO LATE FOR CHICKENS !!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom