Too late to start?

ejnovinsky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Finally have a house where we can have some backyard chickens. Im wondering if its too late in the season to start raising chicks. It will be a couple more weeks before were moved in. Will there be enough time for chicks to grow enough to be ok for the winter outside? Am I hurting my possibility of egg production since they will reach egg laying age in the winter months?

I don't think it is. It takes pullets anywhere from 4-6 months to begin laying. So, you probably won't get many eggs from them unless they are cold hardy breeds. But, they will be grown before it gets to cold.

It's never too late.
frow.gif

Good. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find some chicks! The wait for shipping via the net is pretty long on the reputable sites Ive seen. Id really like to buy from someone local but havent had any luck sourcing chicks so far

Last year I got chicks in mid July because the chicks I got in June were killed by a weasel shortly after I got them.

The ones I got in July were well grown by winter and I started getting eggs near the end of December. I picked only cold hardy breeds (there are several) and I did increase their lighting to 12 1/2 hours on a timer when they got near 20 weeks old.

I do not heat my coop and I live in Upper Michigan where it gets very cold and lots of snow.

So, no it's not too late.

Good. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find some chicks! The wait for shipping via the net is pretty long on the reputable sites Ive seen. Id really like to buy from someone local but havent had any luck sourcing chicks so far
Have you checked in with your state? Most of the states have a thread here on the forums and they can be an invaluable resource. I have never been able to figure out how to post a link (the spirit is willing, the knowledge is weak) but if you just type your state into the search box it'll pop up -

Finally have a house where we can have some backyard chickens. Im wondering if its too late in the season to start raising chicks. It will be a couple more weeks before were moved in. Will there be enough time for chicks to grow enough to be ok for the winter outside? Am I hurting my possibility of egg production since they will reach egg laying age in the winter months?
Another thing you can do is wait a bit and pick up started chicks when the breeders start to thin their flocks for overwintering.
It's a great way to pick up March and April hatched chicks which puts you back on track for hatching next Spring. Plus,
if Sussex, March hatched chicks will be the best winter layers. I started with baby chicks several times. Then finally,
I got started birds ( over 8 weeks old) from a proven show line. I am so happy with the quality of these Light Sussex.
It costs just as much to feed them as grade quality birds. Since you aren't moving in till later anyway, why not find
a breed and breeder you like and get on their list for started birds this Fall. That gives you time to get settled in,
less stress and the breeder gets time to cull the birds at least once for quality. Your birds will be old enough to
shown if you want. Be on track for winter laying, plus be o track with everyone else for hatching next Spring.
Timing, quality, production, hatching, showing, it's a 5 way win for you.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
I thought about started chicks. Or even full grown hens but I want the fun of raising little babies too. Meyer hatchery is about 2 hours away from me. I could make a road trip of it. Or i could ship. That short of a distance wouldnt be as much of an issue id guess

I'm not sure where you are, but at this time of year I'd recommend going to the hatchery if you can. It's getting pretty warm and I wouldn't want to have chickens shipped in. I know my local feed store quits ordering them about now. I got some of the "last" chickens of the year, unless I go on Craigslist for some others. Although hatcheries may still ship, riding around in a mail truck for a day or two is not going to be comfortable for them.

Back
Top Bottom