1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TOO MANY BROODIES! When I don't want any...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jossanne, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm going to pull my hair out. I have 5 big girls, 3 blue wyandottes and 2 white cochins, broody right now who aren't even a year old yet. And today my favorite bantam cochin is definitely broody. I have no good eggs for them, no money to buy good eggs for them, and I don't want to hatch any of my own mutts right now. I don't have my bantam cochins that I plan to breed separated yet, so I haven't been saving her eggs, and now she's not laying any. Why is it when I just want eggs they're all broody, and when I want babies none are broody??? Silly girls!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Isn't that how it always works? They couldn't cooperate or anything!

Just send them to Gritty! I hear she loves broodies!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Please contact Gritsar. She is always looking for more. I have helped her in the past, but not with that last one, Gritty.[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Didn't your momma teach you not to tell stories? [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Momma gave up on me at about 12.[​IMG] Her favorite line, "There just ain't any 'do right' in you, boy." I used to have a somewhat mischievous nature.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by