Too many cockerels??

It's hard!
I have three breeding groups, and two roosters for each, so if one dies, or whatever, there's still another. They all have to get along in one big coop, with no actual fighting, and no human aggression. it works, but when breeding there are MANY nice cockerels, and some older roosters, who need to leave. Some into the freezer, some sold, and some die for one reason or another. If you can't cope with ever eliminating birds, don't raise chicks at home!
Mary

@Folly's place bantams won’t make for much in the freezer. Im new to this chicken raising. I’ll be able to “man up” eventually and get rid of a few cockerels. Already Searching for bantam pullets though so hopefully I won’t have to get rid of 3... 2 I can part with.

@Folly's place I’m not looking to breed my peeps for sale, just wanted some bantams to show at fairs. Tossed the dice and lost. Eventually yes I would like to hatch a few chicks but no time soon. So everyone of these chickens are my babies that I sit with, talk to, hold, hand feed, sing to... I love the golden laced roo that I ended up with. And hope my light Brahma roo is just as friendly (doing all I can to hold him every day) same with my bantam Roos. Some people love cats, I love chickens ‍♀️mine are all young, some just started laying a month ago. So maybe in a couple years I can toss some aside and not care... highly doubtful

Back
Top Bottom