Too many drakes

Dft318

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
My 4 pekins are almost 4m old and today is the first day I noticed drake feathers on two of my ducks. That ratio isn’t going to work. Do I rehome a male? How do I even go about doing that? I’m a first time duck mom and wanting to do right by them. I have them for eggs/pets, so my priority is keeping females for eggs. Any direction in how to do this would be appreciated! Thanks! I’ve added some pics to show their feathers and just how cute they are!
5093E90C-F1F8-4E11-8A03-5DE797B11F89.jpeg

Attachments

• 68A6C7D8-5BEE-4BC1-8299-4C6B5D664F56.jpeg
    68A6C7D8-5BEE-4BC1-8299-4C6B5D664F56.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2BBD4CF3-74E7-4E81-976F-9FADFEDCB385.jpeg
    2BBD4CF3-74E7-4E81-976F-9FADFEDCB385.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi & :welcome
Pekin drakes eat a lot and do not lay eggs, so are not easy to find a home as a pet. I would try and find a pet home for the 2 males together so they will have company. If you come over to the meat section of this site, you might see the normal use of the males.

Hi & :welcome
Pekin drakes eat a lot and do not lay eggs, so are not easy to find a home as a pet. I would try and find a pet home for the 2 males together so they will have company. If you come over to the meat section of this site, you might see the normal use of the males.
My husband is totally fine with eating them. I don’t think I can. I don’t mind eating duck, actually like it, but don’t want to eat my babies. I think I want to add two more females and maybe have no males. We bought at TS and didn’t know sex. I think I may order specific females next time. Thank you for your response!

My husband is totally fine with eating them. I don’t think I can. I don’t mind eating duck, actually like it, but don’t want to eat my babies. I think I want to add two more females and maybe have no males. We bought at TS and didn’t know sex. I think I may order specific females next time. Thank you for your response!
My husband is the one who will not eat the ducks. I love duck! He loves the ducks! ;)

My 4 pekins are almost 4m old and today is the first day I noticed drake feathers on two of my ducks. That ratio isn’t going to work. Do I rehome a male? How do I even go about doing that? I’m a first time duck mom and wanting to do right by them. I have them for eggs/pets, so my priority is keeping females for eggs. Any direction in how to do this would be appreciated! Thanks! I’ve added some pics to show their feathers and just how cute they are! View attachment 2764395
Exchange the drake with a female maybe. Might have to add some money since females are more expensive. Idk if its possible for u but works in Pakistan for me.

Exchange the drake with a female maybe. Might have to add some money since females are more expensive. Idk if its possible for u but works in Pakistan for me.
I’d like to do that, just don’t know where or how. Hopefully someone can guide me. I do have a friend with a lot of land that might take the males and I can just get some females. I love one of my boys though, he’s my fave.

I’d like to do that, just don’t know where or how. Hopefully someone can guide me. I do have a friend with a lot of land that might take the males and I can just get some females. I love one of my boys though, he’s my fave.
I can see from your photos that they are pets. The male birds are always the friendliest! For parrots, male birds are the preferred pets. Females are shy, and lay eggs which is not preferred for pets.

Maybe contact the person you bought them from if you got them as 3 females 1 males and it turned out this way.

I can see from your photos that they are pets. The male birds are always the friendliest! For parrots, male birds are the preferred pets. Females are shy, and lay eggs which is not preferred for pets.
They are pets but I really do want eggs, so having more females is preferable but one of the males I love a lot, he’s definitely the sweetest of my bunch!

Back
Top Bottom