1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too many eggs - overachievers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goddesses, Jan 13, 2009.

1. goddesses

goddesses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I have 6 beautiful wyandottes. They didnt start laying until they were 26 weeks old - Thanksgiving Day!

Well, we have gotten 6 eggs everyday since then. Everything you read says one egg/chicken every 36 to 48 hours.

We have a light on a time that goes on at night to insure 15 hours of light for laying. Should we give them less light? We dont want them to be all egged out in a year!

Thanks

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    wow, those are some amazing birds.

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I have a few that are laying every day, while the others are not laying every day, and they are all about the same age as yours. we use only a red heat lamp at night - i worried too about keeping a light on at night.
    I think it is just the way some chickens are, and they may slow down as they get older.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have no light on my girls, other than the short daylight- and I currently have 11 DOZEN eggs! That's after scrambling hundreds for the chickens, the dogs, poor DH..... trying to sell, but in this rural area they think $2.00 is too much- huh? That's what they pay for white ones in the store! I am losing my mind over eggs- not to mention the fridge space!

Depending upon where you are, you might want to let them slow down a bit, by shortening the schedule. There are lots of people here who know more than I! [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm over run with eggs too-20 dozen! I didn't expect the pullets to lay this winter. My hens are Black and Brown sex links but the pullets are mutts. My customers are not keeping up and neither are we. It's better than having to go buy eggs though! I think with the really cold weather we are having I'm going to serve them up some nice warm scrambled eggs for their treat today!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Too many?.....I wish I had that problem. I just sold my first dozen to a friend, she "donated" $1.50. They are still rather small in size so I was happy to sell them for that. Today was my record for eggs....8 so far and I know my EE will most likely lay today too. I love it!

7. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Is it safe to give them eggs? I am not berating or anything like that, I am just curious.

Mike D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I'm getting 1 or 2 or 3 eggs at MOST a day from my 6 that SHOULD be laying 1 just started molting 2 are getting over their molt geesh <G> last 6 days have been 1 egg a day!
    looking forward to longer days!

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I would be reluctant to put the hens on a "decreasing" light schedule. You may just move them to the opposite problem - zero eggs.

There are infections and other risks with high egg production. Constant laying can also deplete their bodies. However, they have more egg-producing potential than will ever be realized, even with a long life.

Most of the follicles in their ovaries, unlike with some animals, will never develop into ova. There are thousands and thousands.

The hen stops laying for reasons other than "running out" of eggs - or so the poultry scientists tell us.

We are blessed with an artificial selection for egg production that has been going on for many, many years. The wild chicken produces a fraction of what the domestic hen is capable of.

I think the best we can do for them is to try our darnest to give them good care and everything that their bodies require. They are doing their best for us.

Steve

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Is it safe to give them eggs? I am not berating or anything like that, I am just curious.

Mike D

Yes, it's safe to give them cooked eggs. If you boil them make sure to mash them up so that they don't look like an egg as that could lead to egg eating (in the nest, not when you give it to them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by