Too many roos? What do you do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 7, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I am just thinking ahead here...
    We have newly hatched chicks. We are all attached to them. What happens if say three of them are roos? We have 11 more eggs in the bator so there could obviously be roos in there too.
    What will I do? How many roos would be too many in this instance?
    Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I eat them. Might want to try the search about roos. There are lots of toipcs on them. Ideal ratio is 1:10 or so, more than one often will fight.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    These are our first five. At this point I don't know if I could eat one of them. I know, I know.. We raise pigs every summer to put in the freezer, but these are my chicks we are talking about here. [​IMG]

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    List them on Craig's List [​IMG]

5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't do Craigslist, but I guess I could list them on Freecycle though. Good idea.

6. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    We got 15 BA chicks last spring. ELEVEN of them were roos. We had a neighbor help up prepare them for the freezer. Ohhhh it was EASY because they were vicious little buggers. You could not go out the back door (which is where I park) without fear of being attacked.

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I have never put anything on Craig's List either, but I did find a great lady on there who is taking all my roos! She's perfect. I've given her 5 roos already and tomorrow she's getting 6 pullets and 2 I'm not sure of...just because I have way too many! Freecycle is also a good idea!!

8. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Holy moly! Eleven out of 15 were roos? That is my fear. I talked to my husband this morning about what we will do and he said eat 'em. I don't eat meat, but the rest of the family. [​IMG] I guess time will tell.

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I am lucky in that I know a woman in town that will take them all and she sells them for meat birds. Some freecycles actually will not let you post animals (I have seen one). Craigslist is good too or post an ad in your local feed store. I always run right to the bulletin board!

10. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Here in Florence they don't allow any pets or animals on Freecycle either. That's a bummer.
    They say only stuff that would otherwise be going to the dump/landfill if not given away can be listed.

Good luck getting rid of your extra roos. I have the same problem as I have 7 EXTRA Black Australorps that are 8 weeks old that I have been trying to get rid of also.

Jayare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by