Too many roos? What do you do?

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
I am just thinking ahead here...
We have newly hatched chicks. We are all attached to them. What happens if say three of them are roos? We have 11 more eggs in the bator so there could obviously be roos in there too.
What will I do? How many roos would be too many in this instance?
Thanks

These are our first five. At this point I don't know if I could eat one of them. I know, I know.. We raise pigs every summer to put in the freezer, but these are my chicks we are talking about here.
lol.png

We got 15 BA chicks last spring. ELEVEN of them were roos. We had a neighbor help up prepare them for the freezer. Ohhhh it was EASY because they were vicious little buggers. You could not go out the back door (which is where I park) without fear of being attacked.

I have never put anything on Craig's List either, but I did find a great lady on there who is taking all my roos! She's perfect. I've given her 5 roos already and tomorrow she's getting 6 pullets and 2 I'm not sure of...just because I have way too many! Freecycle is also a good idea!!

Quote:
Holy moly! Eleven out of 15 were roos? That is my fear. I talked to my husband this morning about what we will do and he said eat 'em. I don't eat meat, but the rest of the family.
hmm.png
I guess time will tell.

I am lucky in that I know a woman in town that will take them all and she sells them for meat birds. Some freecycles actually will not let you post animals (I have seen one). Craigslist is good too or post an ad in your local feed store. I always run right to the bulletin board!

Here in Florence they don't allow any pets or animals on Freecycle either. That's a bummer.
They say only stuff that would otherwise be going to the dump/landfill if not given away can be listed.

Good luck getting rid of your extra roos. I have the same problem as I have 7 EXTRA Black Australorps that are 8 weeks old that I have been trying to get rid of also.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom