Too many Roosters!

brb6fa

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Hi! I'm new to chicken keeping. When buying chicks, we were told to get extras because chicks die easily. Well, nobody died and now we have 5 roosters and 7 pullets in a coop sized for 8.

How do I rehome all these roosters before they kill each other? Killing them is not an option.

Thank you for any advice.

Welcome!
Pictures on signs at your local feed stores, craigslist, on your state thread or the sale thread here, or a small local livestock auction.
You could set up a separate bachelor coop and run, some folks do that.
Cockerels and adult cock birds may get along, or not, and difficulties can develop overnight. You need a plan, extra space and cages, if fighting gets going.
Having a nice life, and providing a meal for a family, is not a bad end. Grocery store birds have not had nice lives, and most cockerels and roosters do become someone's dinner, even if you don't ever eat chicken.
Mary

Welcome!
Pictures on signs at your local feed stores, craigslist, on your state thread or the sale thread here, or a small local livestock auction.
You could set up a separate bachelor coop and run, some folks do that.
Cockerels and adult cock birds may get along, or not, and difficulties can develop overnight. You need a plan, extra space and cages, if fighting gets going.
Having a nice life, and providing a meal for a family, is not a bad end. Grocery store birds have not had nice lives, and most cockerels and roosters do become someone's dinner, even if

Thank you kindly for your suggestions. I will try them starting tomorrow morning. 🐓🐔

There are threads on Facebook too, if you do that. I've sold birds several different ways, sometimes it's easy, and sometimes not. Cockerels of unusual breeds, or really beautiful birds, are easier. There are so very many cockerels, it's hard to move them on sometimes.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom