Too Many Scovie drakes - but not wanting to loose anymore babies =(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    You know how when you have an established flock and you sell some off because they have bad attitudes or you need to scale down? And when they are gone you feel like something is missing and its sort of depressing because even though they were bad apples you can see your birds wondering whats going on or you feel kinda empty?

Well i guess im overdue for that. This past year i feel ive been doing wayyyyy too much of that. As some of you know i had to rehome almost all of my flock of over 50+ birds back in august. ANd now i just have my scovie hen and her 6 juveniles.

Well out of those six juveniles i have 2 females and four males. And one or two of those males are not very good at sharing =/ so i might be having to rehome them sooner than spring and it does not make me happy. especially since they are all so pretty [​IMG] makes me want to cry a little *sigh*

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Just remember that its the best for the flock and your finding them a good home [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] So sorry you didnt have the ratio the other way and could keep them all.

Apart from my own feelings- I notice the ducks have acted different after I take some to a sale. I have 3 large dog carriers that I transport my ducks in when going to a show- a sale or just up to my block in the country. I didnt want them to learn to associate those blue crates with " disappearing ducks". I will sometimes just pop some of them into a crate and take them for a drive. Its always funny to watch them when I take the crate back out to the yard again and they gather around to see who is going to come out.

I have hatched about 50 ducklings in the last 6 weeks to choose my keepers for next year from. Its so hard- but when I have a standard to pick to- I cant pick favorites. I already have enough "pet and disabled" ones and can only keep about 5. Some have already gone to new homes- and more are going this weekend. I use to manage to deal with saying goodbye when I had eggs hatching every week. I have slowed things down now and am starting to think about a time in the not too distant future when I dont have any babies here at all. It has been a busy few months caring for so many ducks- but I have loved almost every minute of it.... the only part I dont like is saying goodbye. I have an email account just for people who have bought my ducks- and hear stories and see photos of them often. Its great to come home from work and find some new photos of ducks I sold months ago all grown up now.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Sorry to hear about your scovies, Goat Walker [​IMG]
    I hate it when it means giving away your loved ducks [​IMG]
    And I agree, ducky, giving away ducklings and ducks because of the max your can keep is also hard! So far I've managed to find good homes though <3

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    *sigh* I know ill find good homes for them. Otherwise i wont sell them. Im lucky enough to have a pen that seperates into two by a gate.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I can't even let my Muscovies hatch anymore it's so hard to find good homes for them. I don't have room for anymore to keep myself. I always feel so bad when I have to take the eggs from my girls who are broody:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by